Completed Project - Brandon's mild 4.0 OHV build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Brandon's mild 4.0 OHV build

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
So, as of 5 hours ago Ronin8002, or James' built OHV block became mine; and with the stea.. I mean deal I got and all the extra goodies he threw in, he seemed a little too happy to get rid of this thing :shifty_ey... lol! But WOW this thing is in good shape! As a christmas gift from my parents, I've been given the opportunity to really dig into an engine like I've always wanted to do. I've watched and assisted a couple chevy 350 builds over the past few months but have never done anything by myself.. so here goes nothin!

The Meat (James' Block):
- 1995 block bored .030 over and torque honed
- Keith Black Hypereutectic 1995 Style Pistons (staying around 9:1)
- Total Seal piston rings
- Clevite bearings
- Stock Water pump/timing cover (awesome shape!)
- Stock Fuel Rail
- SOHC Oil pump/pan - to strengthen up the bottom end
-- Possible port/polish on the lower intake, we'll see when I get there

The Goodies:
- Comp Cams 49-422-8 Cam
- Comp Cams 988-12 dual valve springs
- 95tm heads with minor porting/polishing

(on the way, supposedly 11/28/10)
- SI sev2027 and sev2028 valves
- Delta Cam rockers
and pushrods will come later down the road when properly measured

I'm going to keep a diary as things progress on the motor, once I get all the parts in it really should start coming together quickly. I'm down for any type of constructive criticism you have, if you don't like the way I'm doing something PLEASE let me know, as this will be my true first solo go at an engine! JD4242 has really given me a lot of direction when it comes to the 4.0, by reading through his posts in the forums I'm still baffled by the amount of knowledge he has of these things. So, many thanks to you JD!

First order of business, I need help tracking down a full gasket kit, reasonably priced as the budget is dwindling down, I hear an ebay seller has them for around $130??, as well as new head stud/bolts. I'm not feeling ARP's $400 set of head bolts/studs. Does anyone have any suggestions or leads on either?

Thanks for lookin! Here's a couple of teaser pics! Pics of the motor when I get it all unpackaged and on a stand.

-Brandon

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 6,268
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 6,669

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

brandon its really coming along. def do the lower and upper intake porting big difference. also look into the bbk tb or the half shaft mod for the tb.you going to do any headers??

I definitely am going to go JBA-style headers as I already have the rest of the exhaust system to compliment them, but I may not get them right when the motors finished. I also was looking at BBK's 66mm?? throttle body on SummitRacing, but I just can't justify $230 for it :( :(.. what do you mean by the halfshaft mod? For Reference: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BBK-1580/

Anyway, Brandon, I got wrapped up with family and what not during the holiday...I'll get you a tracking number tomorrow when I mail out the gaskets.

GREAT, thanks!

SI called me today and said they got the sev2027 valves cast today, monday they'll work on the sev2028's and then they'll be shipped!!

Last thing I need is rockers, then it's GO TIME!

One more question for you guys... lifters; Can I reuse my stock ones? If they have any 'cupping' on them for lack of better terms, can I not just grind them down flat without taking off an excessive amount of material?

I trust everyone had a good TurkeyDay yesterday! I know I woke up about 11.30 this morning sick as crap..:p:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I would say you can use them.mine looked fine at 130000 miles.just take them apart and clean them real good.do a search for half shaft mod for the throttle body.

O and jba are way over priced!! Get some black pacesetters and ceramic coat and bake and wrap them.i can show you how.;)

no no.. I have JBA knockoffs on ebay with the opening bid around $100 ;) ;)

haha I think they might be BBKs or something like that. If they're around in the next couple months or so I'll be picking them up as well.

No way!! The reserve gota be way higher!! Where is the link?:)

this sounds like an interesting build. i've been kicking around ideas in my head for how i'd rebuild my 4.0 if the time comes... it's got warn push rods and that's as good an excuse as any for a full rebuild, right? hehe.. i'll probably just replace the rods..

oh, and i probably wouldn't do the stroker kit... 2 reasons, first is price, it's always nice to not spend a bunch of extra cash, there's other places it could do more good than a stroker kit. the second reason, is it will raise piston speeds near TDC, and reduce TDC dwell time, leading to less breathing time through you're already somewhat restrictive heads. while this may increase cylinder fill velocity at low rpm increasing torque, it'll be suffocating at higher rpms. just something to keep in mind.

No way!! The reserve gota be way higher!! Where is the link?:)

The winning bid was $182 HERE.

If another set comes around i'm DEFINITELY jumping on them.

oh, and i probably wouldn't do the stroker kit... 2 reasons, first is price, it's always nice to not spend a bunch of extra cash, there's other places it could do more good than a stroker kit. the second reason, is it will raise piston speeds near TDC, and reduce TDC dwell time, leading to less breathing time through you're already somewhat restrictive heads. while this may increase cylinder fill velocity at low rpm increasing torque, it'll be suffocating at higher rpms. just something to keep in mind.

I'm definitely not going to go stroker, I really want to keep the bottom end strong so maybe... juuuust maybe down the road I can spray nos or go low boost. ;)

ScottB was the one considering it :dunno:

Well damn!! There is a set of jba for $200 something too.those things are normally well over $500!!

Real fast question that I never actually thought about and couldn't find the answer to.. How much does the OHV block all put together weigh approx?

I was going to pick up an additional stand so I could work on both at once and came across this on HarborFreight ((750lb cappacity CLICK)) and was wondering if that would be a sufficient stand for my use? I think it will be more than enough, but I just want to make sure.

That is the stand I used when we rebuilt our '92 OHV motor. I can't tell you how much it weights, just that it didn't fall off or break the HFT stand.

I did use a different stand when I built the 460 motor as I didn't trust that HFT stand for that heavy of a motor.

~Mark

EDIT: I just looked at the picture of my 4.0 motor during the rebuild. and I had it on the Black stand. My orange (HFT) stand was at my brothers house, holding up an Olds 455 (no heads).

Sorry about the confusion..

EDIT2: I did find the weight of the 4.0 SOHC.. It is 330 lbs. and I doubt the 4.0 OHV is more than double the weight of the SOHC.

That is the stand I used when we rebuilt our '92 OHV motor. I can't tell you how much it weights, just that it didn't fall off or break the HFT stand.

I did use a different stand when I built the 460 motor as I didn't trust that HFT stand for that heavy of a motor.

~Mark

EDIT: I just looked at the picture of my 4.0 motor during the rebuild. and I had it on the Black stand. My orange (HFT) stand was at my brothers house, holding up an Olds 455 (no heads).

Sorry about the confusion..

EDIT2: I did find the weight of the 4.0 SOHC.. It is 330 lbs. and I doubt the 4.0 OHV is more than double the weight of the SOHC.

I appreciate the response, response to that and response to that Mark! :salute:

haha! looks like I'll be picking one of those puppies up after school today, if that thing Holds an Olds (rhyme!) then it's more than enough for me!

Thats the stand i use

Ok, picked up the stand this evening, dang this thing is actually quality!

Okay.. Rocker Arms. I've been trying to get in touch with Delta Cams for the passed two days and alls I've gotten in return is emails / calls telling me to go to their new forum (here.). Does anyone have a part number I can use for them, or somewhere else to get rocker arms or the whole assembly... whichever one I need. I'm almost tired of dealing with these guys. :(

Here is the info I posted in another thread..

I just happen to look in the box next to me and what do I see but my Delta Camshaft invoice from when I bought the DEL-F40kit. Total cost on my receipt was 231.01 including shipping and I have a 2nd invoice for -$42 from when I sent in my old rocker assembly back. That was back in July of 2007..

That is for the Rocker arm and push rod "kit".

~Mark

Edit: I still see it listed on their old site as "F-40 KIT"

Here is the info I posted in another thread..

That is for the Rocker arm and push rod "kit".

~Mark

Edit: I still see it listed on their old site as "F-40 KIT"

I was trying my best to stray away from what they call the 'kit' because I'll need longer than stock pushrods for the 422 cam. I had planned to get them from Smith Bros.

Gotcha.. I think I still know where the receipt is. If its there, I'll check to see if it has a part # break down.

I do think it is sad though. You are calling and telling them you have money, and want to give them money and they send you somewhere else. Delta Cam must have so much business that they can just throw away money.

~Mark

Tell me about it.. I know aaaaallll about this new forum they're posting up, which by the way is released this friday.

EDIT -- Oh you'll get a kick out of this. I just received another email after asking them to please respond with the proper part number.

Check out the return email address from the site.. SERIOUSLY?? mature, real mature.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 6.09.30 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 6.09.30 PM.png
    131.2 KB · Views: 1,285

How many rockers are bad?

I have 1 Rocker arm assembly from them with only 1 bad rocker arm. I screwed up when I installed it and one rocker arm has the cup messed up (the hardened area)..

I meant to send it to them with the 3 spare assemblies I have to have them repair it, but I never did and what I have in the X has been working great for 35k miles or so.

~Mark

Ill find the part # and price later,im at work.they will swear up and down the pushrods that come with it are the right ones but they i repeat they are not.they can make you pushrods but they are not as good as SB.im personaly not impressed by there rockers as i had a hole set that was super noisy and they set me a new one then one of the rockers shattered on my causen my motor to lock up!!

Back