Bring Offroading back to Allegany County! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bring Offroading back to Allegany County!

ajthomas05

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mount Airy, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
There's a proposal to bring a series of off roading trails into Allegany County in MD. Anyone who has been on the Greenridge/Poplar Lick ORV trails now knows how far we have to travel to find a "legal" place to wheel.

I'm not sure what the DNR means by "residents", whether it be county, state, or just local. It would be great to see a lot of support for this!

http://times-news.com/local/x1633486496/ATV-riding-trails-a-possibility-in-Allegany-County

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Here is a bump for the cause...

...I know these important threads get buried in this section pretty easily...Hopefully some local members in your area will spot this and help spread the word..

The Regional Stakeholder Recreation Evaluation public meeting for the Western Region will be held March 5 from 4 to 6 p.m. at Allegany College of Maryland in the Continuing Education Building Room 8. Valentine said this is an opportunity for residents to express support for off-road vehicle trails.

..I know we have a few members in the area...It would be cool if someone went to the meeting and reported back here...

..If people don't show up to these meetings they figure it's not important to anyone so something cool like this might get scrapped before it even has a chance...;)

In May 2011, the DNR closed three of the state’s off-road vehicle trails — Green Ridge, Chandler and Poplar Lick trails.

I just emailed Bretta Reinhard Mr/Mrs? Public Information Officer, Allegheny County Officer concerning the proposed park. I mentioned I'm not a Md. resident but would gladly make the trip and pay a small fee, including spending money in the local businesses. I also asked if my vote of yes even counts due to my none residency and the fact that I did via email?
Seems to me that persons from out of state would matter as far as making the trip...Money is money.
Plus it would be an easy ride from Pa, Wv and Va.
I'll post back any responce.
I read the report and the one the developer is thinking about in Garret county Md. would really be cool also just as long as there were some challanging trails thrown in same for Allegheny county. Years ago I rode plenty of trails in both of those counties.

For Information Contact:
Bretta Reinhard
Public Information Officer
Allegheny County Government
701 Kelly Road
Cumberland, MD 21502-2803
T 301-777-ALCO (2526) X124
F 301-724-6970
breinhard@allconet.org
www.gov.allconet.org

Below is couple emails that I received from Bill Reinhard. Hope this encourages others to contact Md's DNR site like Bill asked. He's been working on using some strip mine land for the parks. They're located in Garret and Aleghany counties Md. I will now follow up by contacting MD's DNR.

From: Commissioner Valentine (Commissioner.Valentine@allconet.org)
Sent: Mon 2/25/13 7:46 AM
To: bigblockchevyXXX

Mr. Richard XXXXXX

Thank you for your communication. I have been working for months to get a new set of off-road trails here. We now have a group proposing using the many re-claimed strip mine areas for such use- running through Allegany and Garrett Counties. You can send me as much as you want, and please have others do the same ( even though I’m a small block Ford guy )

Thank you, Bill Valentine

Allegany County Commissioner

And here is the link to MD's DNR site. Please pass this along. Running out of time.

Maryland Department of Natural Resources - What is DNR?‏

Send email
Find email
View detailsTo '
Sent: Mon 2/25/13 6:03 AM
To: 'Richard ' (bigblockchevyXXX)

http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/mailroom.asp Hello, Mr. Rick XXXXXX. As promised,here is the contact information for the Maryland Department of NaturalResources. I hope that this is helpful to you. Bretta Reinhard, PublicInformation Officer, Allegany County Government, 301-777-2526 X124.

On a side note:
I'm going to have to send Mr Reinhard a pic of my small block ford Bronco since he mentioned about how he's a small block ford guy lol. My email starts with "bigblockchevy" cause all my race cars had Chevy engines whether drag or oval dirt, but the big block L88 427 was the one that I won more races then any other. Mystery solved.
You can't imagine how much flack get from all the Ford guys about this. But I do tell them that I have the large Chevy intake valves (2.02") in those aluminum heads ha ha.

...Hopefully with all the effort you put into retrieving the contact info, others in the area will jump in and get involved..:biggthump

..Any info on the meeting that was held on the 5th?

Well, I wasn't able to make it out there like I planned on. Unfortunately a snowstorm was supposed to come through that afternoon/night, so it probably affected lots of plans of going. But hopefully someone on here did, and can report back!

That's the same reason I did not attend the meeting. Might have been canceled?
But if took place or is postponed the email I sent to Md DNR as per Bill Reinhard instructions well before the meeting would count toward a yes vote even if I'm not there.
And the fact that I'm out of state made no difference.

I'll contact Bill and post back.

Just sent Mr Reinhard an email. Plus I invited him to check the site out.
He sent me some pics of his really cool Hot Rod Ford Truck. If he don't mind I'll post up some pics or he might just do it himself?

Plus I invited him to check the site out.
He sent me some pics of his really cool Hot Rod Ford Truck.

..By all means tell him to get his butt over here and share some updates with us...Not only of his truck, but of the ongoing progress of this land issue too...:biggthump

Back