broke both rear coil springs | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

broke both rear coil springs

Ford Quality

The spring has nothing to do with holding the tire to the vehicle. The control arms do. The springs just support the weight.

Well all I know is that I looked out my side mirror and there was a Firestone AT sticking half way out the wheel well with smoke trailing from the bearing area. May not have fell off BUT from the dramatic sway caused by the failure it sure felt like it.

Defend this crap if you want!
I talked to the counter guys at two different auto parts chains and they said the explorer "X" platform was one of the top 3 vehicles that people come in for parts on. Tons of brakes, rotors, wheel bearings, springs and the ever present request of "do you know a less expensive place than Ford to buy a rebuilt transmission."

The big 3 import so many parts now so why not buy a US built Toyota? Whats the difference?

Wanna buy an 2002 Explorer XLT? I will let it go cheap! Its got it's 3rd set of wheel bearings, Third transmission (which is now slipping going into reverse)second set of springs, 3rd set of rotors, new rear diff and the cracked panel in the back I will just leave so that everybody that pulls up behind you will know what a high quality Ford vehicle you drive.

I have had enough fun! :roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^-- I think one of the problems is you bought the first year that the 3rd generation was released. The early vehicles will always have the most problems.

^-- I think one of the problems is you bought the first year that the 3rd generation was released. The early vehicles will always have the most problems.

I agree!:(

Cobra Jet, this look familiar?

In 2004 this is how the front drivers side spring in my GT looked:

PA080020.jpg

When I took the thing out, it was in 4 pieces (old on the right, new on the left):

PA080023.jpg

YEP! Except w/ mine, the entire bottom coil or coil and a half was busted off in a single piece, not multiple pieces like yours (I guess I got lucky.... LOL).

Like I said, I'm really surprised that the NHTSA has not been plagued w/ complaints of damaged/broken springs from owners of these vehicles that are affected. To me and maybe to others, it's a safety issue as it involves a part of the suspension.

Sounds like you may be a bit hard on vehicles too.

No, I just cut the imperfections out -- like the chassis, firewall and floor :)

Todd
If that was directed at my comments I can say that the only "hard driving" I do is trailering a two place snowmobile trailer carrying my sled. I don't even usually carry two sleds. Highway driving aprox 75% of the time for all driving. Have a difficult time calling that "Hard".

I just wanted to bump this thread. I just discovered my right rear spring is broken. Do any of you know if it will be ok to drive 425 miles to NC next weekend? I have already driven 1000 miles but its more suburban/city not straight highway. I would get it fixed tomorrow but I dont have my other car right now.

I just wanted to bump this thread. I just discovered my right rear spring is broken. Do any of you know if it will be ok to drive 425 miles to NC next weekend? I have already driven 1000 miles but its more suburban/city not straight highway. I would get it fixed tomorrow but I dont have my other car right now.

We (my wife and I) actually drove on broken rear springs for around 4 months before I replaced them...

^^^ thanks. I just dont want to be driving down the highway and have a tire fall off or something like that.

I also lost both springs last month along with a hub. The truck has 110,000
on it. But lets face it our X's are getting old and worn.

Mine too!

Both my rear coils also broken. Passenger side broken second coil from the top, driver side broken at bottom coil. This is a hockey mom car! 100,000 miles.
mine is an 02 with 61k. makes me wonder if there was some kind of impact because the strut has been leaking for some time too

Coil Spring Broken

I was doing a brake job today and found my left rear coil spring broken. Nice suprise. There was no noticable drop on the left side as I would have expected due to 2-3 full coils broken off and wrapped in between the coils that were left. It looks just about like the pictures in this thread above except one of the coils was broken along the length of the coils as well not just vertical breaks. It is a pain in the neck to replace the things also. There is not much room at the top to remove the strut and the nuts are rusted so badly I have to break one of the nuts so I can remove the thing. I may take pictures of the thing just so it is documented. I have 135000+ miles on my 2002 explorer all driven by me and I never heard or felt anything that would have given me an idea that the coils broke. I still cannot believe that the left side would not drop down some and look like it was out of level. Some things just make you say Hmmmm???

I can't believe it! Wife was complaining about creaking from the rear of the o2....now the zero on the keyboard doesn't work. Got under to look and the top turn of the spring broke. Then looked at the other side, that is broken at the top too. Wonder how long I can live with that cause I'm going on a 3K trip with it in a week. Guess it is ok unless it cracks in the middle. Wife's car, no hill jumping or hauling rocks.

On a second look I now see both the top and bottom end coils of both sides are cracked off. Just how do you remove the nut on the top of the shock. It seems really burried in there. I want to save the shock to reuse. Don't want to spend any more than I have to!

On a second look I now see both the top and bottom end coils of both sides are cracked off. Just how do you remove the nut on the top of the shock. It seems really burried in there. I want to save the shock to reuse. Don't want to spend any more than I have to!

You need to remove the entire strut assembly. It's held in place by three 12 or 13mm nuts that attach the top of the strut mount to the chassis. After you get the strut assembly out of the car, hit the nut on the top of the shock with an impact wrench and it comes off pretty easy. Depending on how broken your spring is, you might want to compress the spring before you remove the top nut. You'll definitely need a spring compressor to get the strut assembly back together.

Here's what the strut assembly looks like with a new spring:

IMG_1609.jpg

THANKS!!!! I was wondering if removing those three bolts might make it easier. Even so it looks like crushed knuckle time.

I looked on ebay as someone else noted. Searched explorer spring but didn't come up with anything. Been on long enough to know searches do not always work. Got on the suspension cat then searched explorer. That came up with listings from the old standby Rock Auto. Have lots of paypal money so that was my first choice. However.... Shipping for me was $5 more on ebay than the rockauto site. As stated in the ebay listing shipping may be done from multiple locations and calculation is based on KS location. The website software looks for closest location and lowest cost. Fedex says it is on the way and will be delivered today, the day after ordering. The more expensive spring set is also $10 cheaper on their site than ebay. This may reflect a wholesale price drop not updated in an ebay listing that may be months old. It pays to shop around before hitting that buy it now button.

The new springs are in, total job cost $101. This can be done by anyone that is determined. Three top nuts break loose easily but are progressably harder to remove to the point they could snap. Repeated backing off and wire brushing is necessary. Takes about 20 minutes each. 5 inch box wrench with minimal offset is about all you can get in there with. Don't think ratcheting type would fit on two of the three. Lower arm needs to be dropped along with stabilizer link and control arm.

Drove 25 mimes to a friends shop to use spring compressor.....which he didn't have. Went to Autozone for a loan a tool. Counter guy said they now rent them, $50. Walked to O'Rielies next door and got a free one there. Tool only fits in part of the spring. First time I assembled it couldn't get the tool out. One of the plastic cups came out of the end mount. Guessed at the registration but was about 15 degrees out. That made installing shock lower bolt take about 2 hours. I had taken the spring compressor back and the only way to get it in was brute force.

Job took about 10 hours over two days. That included about 3 hours driving time running around getting stuff. You will get cut up and and be sore for a week. Spring broke in three places on the drivers side and two on the passenger side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My driver rear coil is broke. Clean snap 2 coils down. Never woulda known it, it rides great and sits level and hauls fine. Noticed it when doing brake job. So its staying that way since it in no way affects driving.

Back