• Register Today It's free!

Brown wire mod?

casketboy75

Reaction score
City, State
wallace,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer sport
Ok I have a 99 explorer sport, it will go into 4wd low and come out of low to 4wd high but when i switch to auto nothing happens. Ok i was reading about the brown wire mod and was wondering if that would get it to come out of 4wd high? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think It cuts the power to the TOD clutch in the t case. It can't lock up if it doesn't have power.

thanks I am going to try it first thing in the morning.

Actually now that I think about it maybe it won't work. I don't recall if it cuts the signal, or the power. If it cuts the signal it might not work, because in 4high it locks the clutch up fully, and doesn't need a variable signal.

Oh I hope it will work, what if I take out the front drive shaft? some say it will work fine some say it may not move without it.

im new to these cars and i am just wondering what the brown wire mod is... i still dont get it...

The brown wire mod gets you 2wd from 4 auto, and the option of 2wd low.

BWM is a switch that is placed in the ground wire that goes to the torque on demand box.

It breaks the circuit to the torque on demand box so it never knows it needs engage.

To put it simply, put the switch in one position it is normal, put in another and you have 2 wheel drive.

Easy, inexpensive mod.

Works well.

Where is the brown wire? do I need to take the seat out to get to it? thanks

thanks for the link I got it out of 4wd with the brown wire mod. I appreciate everybodys replys.

Back