• Register Today It's free!

Build thread - Skyforger

StormChase99XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT "Skyforger"
If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

As I previously mentioned, I no longer own an Explorer. This is something that must be rectified, so I'm about to purchase a friend's 1997 XLT.

00s0s_jJ3onSvQXQg_600x450_zps97046190.jpg

I will be building it out for fire & EMS response, as well as some extra storm-chaser goodness.

More to follow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dude you need my LED strobe retrofit technique for that rig. I have others too dual DIN Bluetooth cb wx interior LEDs exterior LED work lights, long-life emergency flashers, AUX driving lights, AUX red interior lamps.

So far, I'm lining up the initial projects to be done. I have about half of this equipment already, so I'm still working on the other half.

- Jotto Desk Lazy L police console w/universal floor mounting plate
- Motorola CM300 UHF radio for primary business
- Kenwood TK8180 UHF radio for county fire
- Vertex Standard VX4204 VHF radio for Skywarn
- Cobra 19-DX IV CB radio for travel
- Gamber Johnson laptop mount with dock for Itronix GoBook III
- Verizon/Pantech Jetpack 4G hotspot
- Cree LED flood/work lights
- Chinese knockoff LED lightbar (red)
- Whelen 295SLSA6 control
- Kenwood AM/FM/CD/MP3/USB head unit

Just a short list. I'm sure I'll wind up doing more.

Insurance has been activated, purchase and pickup to be made Tuesday.

In the meantime, I have begun to assemble the build components.

Ordered -

- Coiled USB/micro USB cable (for phone mount)
- 12VDC to USB 5VDC hardwired stepdown converters (x2)

In-hand -

- Itronix GoBook III rugged laptop computer
SANY0099_zpsb17f90b8.jpg

- Assorted Moto extension speakers, Cobra radar detector, Magellan standalone GPS, Federal Signal MS3000 100w siren
SANY0103_zpsd384cce0.jpg

- PCTel & Laird VHF whip, UHF Phantom, and 800/1900MHz Phantom
SANY0102_zps03a46e8a.jpg

- Kenwood TK8180 UHF radio, Vertex-Standard VX-4205 VHF radio, Motorola CM300 UHF radio
SANY0101_zps317058e3.jpg

Install work begins on Tuesday.

Full view of the truck. I pick it up tomorrow afternoon:

Prefrontleft_zpsace1bda2.jpg

prefront_zpsc1da0eb8.jpg

Prefrontright_zpsfd30970a.jpg

Prerearright_zps90d83f10.jpg

Prerear_zpsb145f92d.jpg

Preleft_zpsb9fd8bd3.jpg

Precargo_zps8f974f58.jpg

Prebackseat_zps46deb31a.jpg

Preinteriorfront_zps2a131efb.jpg

I have acquired the Skyforger. You know, it's not majestic enough for that name yet, so in the meantime, the name is Whiskey Dents.

KIMG0840_zpsa0e85042.jpg

A roof that has been completely unmolested:

KIMG0842_zps53c0698f.jpg

Until now

KIMG0843_zps36fa57f2.jpg

Several antennas are on the way:

KIMG0844_zps8bce7242.jpg

Complete

From front to back - CDMA Cell antenna, UHF 1/4 wave with spring, VHF base-loaded 5/8 wave. Although is it complete, my picture wouldn't load correctly. Ahead of the VHF is now a UHF 1/4 wave (reserving mount for CB antenna), and UHF Phantom is mounted over the cab area.

KIMG0847_zpsa038a9cc.jpg

Changed up a few things on design.

- Changed to 5/8 wave gain antenna for VHF.
- Cut the 1/4 wave VHF whip to 1/4 wave UHF.
- No longer installing the Itronix Laptop, Jotto arm, or dock.
- Changed out to console mount for Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101.

Not to mention, old Whiskey Dents has, well, some whiskey dents. The passenger door is so dented that I don't think I can iron it out without a ton of Bondo. I believe this door will be getting replaced. The rear fender, and a spot on the rear door rocker, are severely rusted. I am going to try to patch it, but that may wind up being cut and welded. There is an exhaust leak, which just needs a donut gasket, and it (of course) needs a new DPFE.

Nothing too bad though. I'm looking forward to painting it black from one end to the other.

Changed up a few things on design.

- Changed to 5/8 wave gain antenna for VHF.
- Cut the 1/4 wave VHF whip to 1/4 wave UHF.
- No longer installing the Itronix Laptop, Jotto arm, or dock.
- Changed out to console mount for Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101.

Not to mention, old Whiskey Dents has, well, some whiskey dents. The passenger door is so dented that I don't think I can iron it out without a ton of Bondo. I believe this door will be getting replaced. The rear fender, and a spot on the rear door rocker, are severely rusted. I am going to try to patch it, but that may wind up being cut and welded. There is an exhaust leak, which just needs a donut gasket, and it (of course) needs a new DPFE.

Nothing too bad though. I'm looking forward to painting it black from one end to the other.

looks like a fun project here! definitely different from our normal builds we see here which is cool! i will definitely be following this!

...Subscribing...:popcorn:

Well, I have had it less than 24 hours and this morning I drove it to work. Someone ran me off the road with a Cadillac and I ripped the rear brake line off. The maintenance guy at work and Myself will be replacing the line tomorrow. I also discovered that if I don't attack this undercarriage with a brushwheel and a undercoating, I will lose all integrity in two years.

Fun fun.

Subscribing as well. Excited for this build. I use mine for emergency response as well, but I don't have all of the in-cab mounted radios. Just a CB, radio box for my portable and some emergency lights.

Enough fighting greasy rust for one day. The brake line has been replaced from the rear axle to just under the driver's seat. Waiting for tomorrow to finish the line run up to the ABS control pump, bleed the lines, and scan-bleed the ABS module.

Next after brakes are done - Removing those godawful running boards.

Enough fighting greasy rust for one day. The brake line has been replaced from the rear axle to just under the driver's seat. Waiting for tomorrow to finish the line run up to the ABS control pump, bleed the lines, and scan-bleed the ABS module.

Next after brakes are done - Removing those godawful running boards.

as a precaution, removing the running boards will leave you with tons of holes every few inches or so. one solution is to buy the "molding" off a base model explorer that didn't come with running boards to cover up the holes

a few other people have creative solutions..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394944

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267712&page=2

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171892

Still working on the brake lines. I ran out of patience for the day, so I decided to start stripping off the running boards. They were in such poor shape that I didn't even decide to salvage and sell them. I took off the plastic covers by force, as most of the screws are rusted tight with stripped heads. The passenger side was significantly more rusted than the driver side, so the actual aluminum board came loose from the truck as the retaining screws and rearmost bracket had turned to dust long ago. Both sides were packed with dirt and mud, and filled with salt dust.

Wonder why it's rusting?

Drivesidenoboard_zpsede4477e.jpg

PassSidenoboard_zpsd5ac033b.jpg

With those god forsaken things gone, the truck looks so much beefier.

Passsidetotalnoboard_zpsc50156ca.jpg

Nice dent!!! Lol

This week, the plan is to get a sawzall and finish cutting off the running boards and brackets. The console and non-functional CD changer will be coming out (Note - I will have a very good condition tan XLT console up for sale, and I'll throw in a working CD changer that I have). Friday evening, I'll be finishing the brake line run and the bleed, and driving it home from work's parking lot.

Soon after, the wirewheel & drill will be getting a workout with this undercarriage, and then a fresh layer of rubberized undercoating.

One setup I am heavily considering is to mount the Vertex VHF and Motorola UHF radios in a double-DIN stack in the stereo location in-dash, then mounting an aftermarket head unit in the custom console I will be building. The Kenwood UHF is getting a remote-head kit, and I'll mount the remote head over the top of the dash, over the AC vents. Under the head unit will be the CB radio, cupholders, and 12VDC outlets, mobile drop chargers for portables, then the armrest.

A guy around here is parting out a 99XLT, and has a whole passenger door, glass included for $50. I think that might be getting bought.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPDATE - I got impatient. Whiskey Dents is home. He got new brake lines from front to rear, there was no air in the ABS unit (YAY! No computer bleed!), and added new one-man bleeder screws. Drove it across town with no problems.

I also fully removed all of the running boards & supports. No sawzall needed. Just a sledgehammer. I am very worried, but optimistic about the rust condition on this vehicle.

Back