Build up my GMC (pics) or get an X? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Build up my GMC (pics) or get an X?

Speaking of Durangos...

I went to www.whiplashsuspensions.com and they have tons of HUGE lifts. Mostly 8" and 10" for Chevs and GMCs. But they did have this Durango one that looks pretty sweet. A little huge for my taste but clean none-the-less:

Attachments

• dscn0142a.jpg
    dscn0142a.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 190

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree that you should not consider the Durango.

I say it's a toss-up as to if you should do the GMC or get a second rig. Same money, and each has it's advantages.

Getting an X: good mileage, comfort, reliability. payments, insurance on 2 vehicles (unless you sell the GMC or garage it), 2 semi-capable vehicles

GMC build-up: looks and coolness, capability. bad mileage, questions on reliability (depending on where you put the money)

Hmmm, if it were me and I had the cash....I'd garage the GMC and eventually build it up. But I'd get the X to have a comfy and reliable vehicle for now. Eventually, put TBI and goodies in the GMC and tow it with the X!!!!!

Honestly, what do you want? An Explorer or the Jimmy?

You can sink just as much money into one as the other, so you should just get what you want. Either way you go, if you don't get what you want you will always wish you had.

And if you get an Explorer, forget having to lift it. You can fit 31" tires on it stock, 32" (metric equivalent anyways) if it has 16" wheels.

Originally posted by Jason_25
Do not even consider a durango!!!!!

WHATS WRONG WITH THEM?

What all do you guys mean by TRUE 4WD??? Lockers and stuff?

Instead of AWD. He adapted a Control Trac Transfer case to his X instead of AWD all the time. Now he has low range and can put it in 2WD.

Originally posted by Xplodor
What all do you guys mean by TRUE 4WD??? Lockers and stuff?
The ability to shift into and out of 4wd, plus low range.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell him what's wrong with the Durango. I know the 360 sucks mega gas, but the looks are nice and I've never known anyone to have trouble with theirs yet. You guys know something I don't?

Well, I'm gonna stick with the Jimmy now. I just sanded some of the body and painted it flat black and i think it's going to look cool all flat black with a 2.5" lift bigger tires, alloy rims and tint :cool:

I know back when the Durangos first came out they were complete junk. They had all kinds of problems. But I think they'd be a decent ride these days. They've had 5 years to work out the bugs...

Yeah...I think on looks the durango is just so blah...it doesnt have anything thats worth looking at. Im just not a real fan of the exterior designing on it.. But i do like how durangos can come with bigger tires from the factory. thats kinda cool, plus i believe they got more power. just the looks i dont like at all

The trannies in them are awful. Yes, worse than explorer trannies.

And like ESPN said, they're not much to look at.

Yeah, I was gonna mention the X tranny:p personally I like it's look, I just like my X's dependability. Honestly if it weren't for I'm sick of a car payment I'd love to get an extended cab 4x4, either ford or dodge. Refuse to buy Chevy since the death of the Camaro.

I can just about guarantee you that your GMC is going to be more dependable than any explorer.

350 engine-tried and true
TH350 tranny-If it's anything like the TH400 it's bulletproof

And it doesn't have all the extra crap like explorers do. It has solid axle front and rear, so no huge maintenance costs there.

The only thing that would make it not dependable is the fact that it's old and may have alot of miles.

Back