• Register Today It's free!

Building a 4.0 OHV for power

Jstcruz

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ex XLT & 84 Ranger
I would like to hear some input on this from people who know what they are talking about. I am new to the 4.0 but know I like them! I have the 4.0 OHV engine, Automatic transmission, drive shaft, rearend and all the computer stuff from a 95 Explorer XLT that I plan on putting into my 84 Ranger. Since I'm doing all of this I want to do it right. I have the engine taken completely apart and it looks great but Im sending it to a machine shop to check it out anyway. I want to get all the power out of this engine I can and remain naturally aspirated. I would like some ideas on how to do that, rather or not I should upgrade the tranny - I will have it rebuilt - should I upgrade the driveshaft or rearend, and what kind of gearing should I use if I'm useing suggested stock size tires? Thanks in advance for your input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like to hear some input on this from people who know what they are talking about. I am new to the 4.0 but know I like them! I have the 4.0 OHV engine, Automatic transmission, drive shaft, rearend and all the computer stuff from a 95 Explorer XLT that I plan on putting into my 84 Ranger. Since I'm doing all of this I want to do it right. I have the engine taken completely apart and it looks great but Im sending it to a machine shop to check it out anyway. I want to get all the power out of this engine I can and remain naturally aspirated. I would like some ideas on how to do that, rather or not I should upgrade the tranny - I will have it rebuilt - should I upgrade the driveshaft or rearend, and what kind of gearing should I use if I'm useing suggested stock size tires? Thanks in advance for your input!

I should of had a V-8!! If you wanted power, that would have been the way to go!

shave the heads and run first gen pistons!and do ALOT of head work,intake work lower and upper(p+p) and the 422 cam.410 gears

I would have done the v-8 if there wasnt so many of them around. I want something different, and I think it would be interesting to see what this can do. Also, if I had a v-8 i,d be too tempted to do too much to it and make the truck either unsafe, or have a money pit. Thanks for the input so far!

I get more awws and questions about my v6 than any v8 I've built. :)

I thought I heard the 4.0 SOHC pistons were better to use because they were lighter. I like the fact that you want to power up the ole underpowered 4.0

They are lighter but if you use them with 95tm or 97,98tm heads it will put you close to 12:1 not real streetable.also if a valve sticks open,on a stock head nothing done,you only have .010 clearance before they hit he piston.you can have 91 pistons and rods lightened up too ;)

The 422 cam is a no-brainer for this application...

So are 95TM heads.....better casting, higher compression...

Underdrive Pulleys....

I make an Intake Spacer for the 4.0L, it gives you a little better torque a little sooner.

But most importantly, I think the transmission needs to be re-built to handle the power. Something along the lines of Frankentranny...

Ryan

Also dont forget about SI valves

Thank you for that link Slowlyvverot!

I agree a potent v-6 is more impressive then a v-8 any day as far as looking at it unless its a hot rod. I might drag my truck once or twice just so I can answer questions people have but I just want something thats mine. I go to car cruises alot and want something you dont see every day. No offense Explorer Junky, but, when people say "why didnt you just do a v-8..?" I want to tell them I'm pushing 0-60 times just as fast (or close at least) as the 5-0 guys. After all... anything over 75mph is pointless unless you have alot of money to spend on tickets!

SI valves?

What kind of hp does all this add up to? This sounds like some pretty serious stuff! I cant wait to get started building this engine lol. Also, what is the compression ratio on the stock OHV 4.0?

Stock is 9:1 i wouldnt go over 11:1 on pump 90+ gas!! Im going to the dyno soon,just got to put my new rearend in.but im shooting for 200+hp and over 300+tq.i would hope for 220 and 340 before the 150 shot:)

Nice! I like the power my 97 X has with the OHV 4.0 stock (for a dd) so this Ranger is going to be awsome to play with. Whats up with the intake spacer you make Spdrcer34? I think from what I,ve been hearing I am definatly going to beef up the tranny. Wasnt sure if it was necesary with the weight difference of the truck but more power needs more transfer. How well does the stock drive shaft hold up to this kind of upgrading? and the rearend?

I run a spacer that is made from a spare fuel rail.driveshaft will be fine and i would run a 2nd gen Explorer rear end with 4.10 gears.better axles and disc brakes.

I have the axel and tranny from the 95 EX Xlt.. It is the disk brake axel, not sure what gearing tho im sure I'll need to change them. I think its the 5r55E tranny? I know its not the A4LD. I will be rebuilding it anyway since I have no idea what kind of shape it was in or how it ran. I bought the Ex in good driving condition but never drove it (no title) I got all the goodies I wanted and sold the rest. It had 198,000 miles on it. Long story short (and off subject) I wish I would have known I was going to get a 97 Ex before I sold all the parts I didnt need for the Ranger project... And I wish I new I could have used the leaf springs on the Ranger to lift it a little bit. All of this stuff is 2wd by the way..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

O sorry over looked the year.

Back