1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Bumper fitment

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Swordfish94x, March 10, 2016.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. Swordfish94x

Swordfish94x Member

City, State:
    CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1996 4dr 2wd Explorer
    I know there's loads of posts about bumpers but I couldn't find anything on this. I have a 96 explorer, my buddy has an 04 ranger edge. I have stock bumper on, he has his stock one with some added support and d rings. Just wondering if the edge has the same frame width as the explorers or regular rangers I think is what I'm getting at. Be nice to know before I take them off and start trying to fit something that doesn't.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. intelisevil

intelisevil Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Sandy, OR
    '00XLT-SOHC,'99Mounty-5.0
    Park them side by side and grab a tape measure. Let us know what you find!

4. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
    He won't notice his bumper is missing? :D

I second the idea to get out a tape measure.

5. Swordfish94x

Swordfish94x Member

City, State:
    CA
    1996 4dr 2wd Explorer
    Well I could fab some way to attach it but the brackets are different. I think I'm just gonna wait til I learn how to weld so I can make one that fits my needs a little better. Liiiike having a skidplate, and not sticking down so low. Besides what's the point of d rings on a bumper when the mounts are stock? Aren't the mounts the weak links that we see endless bumpers getting torn off on YouTube?

6. Mike65

Mike65 Elite Explorer

Media:
    In my garage working on one of our vehicles.
    City, State:
    Toms River, NJ
    00 Ranger 4x4, 99 Sport.
    The tow hooks on the front of the Ranger are held on by 3 large bolts. The one video I saw of a bumper being torn off was from someone hooking up a tow strap & leaving slack in it & the tow vehicle getting a running start then ripping off the bumper. If you hook up a tow strap & then go slow to remove the slack you should be able to be towed out of a stuck situation with out a problem. Our 99 Sport has one in the rear under the bumper & I was towed out of deep snow using only the tow hook with out any problem. You just do it wisely.

7. gdgiordano

gdgiordano Active Member

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    2010 Ford Explorer XLT
    I just use the chain holes on the hitch socket if I can(not the bumper one).