• Register Today It's free!

Bumper laws in Cali

BlueExpy

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT, 92 Eddie Bauer
Allright, so I've got the F-150 coil seats and the warrior shackles put on my X. After doing all that, I pulled the tupperware off as well as the chrome that covers the pieces right behind the rear wheels. My buddy deployed to Iraq on the 16th of July, and told me I could take his 32" BFG MT's off of his Cherokee and see what they look like on the X. I had slight rubbing on the driver side fender liner due to body damage and a lot of rubbing on the passenger side bumper. I bought the truck for $1200 with massive amounts of body damage thanks to a disintegrating(spelling?) truck tire. The new headlights and grill costed me $100 at the local boneyard. The bumper was jacked, so i cut corners off like i had seen on a few X's on this site. I also took the sawzall to the rear corner panels that used to be under the chrome. My question is, do I have to have that rear bumper on there, as it now hangs lower than the body lines? It looks ridiculous. You can see it here(Image 006).

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f171/blueexpy/

:dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you

I found the answer by way of the all mighty Google! With my extensive knowledge in posting(All 5, 6 now), I edited my original to say I found the answer, but only put that as the reason and didn't explain in the post. I'm learning though! :thumbsup:

if it originally came with a bumper, its required by law.....

on a flipside, my truck doesnt have front or rear bumpers, and my frame sticks out because my bed is bobbed... i dont have front or rear plates either :p and havent gotten pulled over yet... have logged 1500 miles this way... i do have a temp tag in the xcab window behind the drivers seat though..... oh yeah, dont have mudflaps either

rear end with no bumper or plate and framerails that stick out 1 foot
pic072208_5.jpg

profile showing how high the bed is cut and the temp tag in the bottom of the xcab window
sideview.jpg

what the front with no bumper looks like no plate (before i painted whole truck black)
driverside.jpg

Why not cut it down like the front;)

Good Idea

What I really need to do though is go buy some steel and just start fabbing!

if it originally came with a bumper, its required by law.....

on a flipside, my truck doesnt have front or rear bumpers, and my frame sticks out because my bed is bobbed... i dont have front or rear plates either :p and havent gotten pulled over yet... have logged 1500 miles this way... i do have a temp tag in the xcab window behind the drivers seat though..... oh yeah, dont have mudflaps either

rear end with no bumper or plate and framerails that stick out 1 foot
pic072208_5.jpg

profile showing how high the bed is cut and the temp tag in the bottom of the xcab window
sideview.jpg

what the front with no bumper looks like no plate (before i painted whole truck black)
driverside.jpg

where the hell are you driving tht thing at? theres no way you got away with all tht for so long in cali.

Back