• Register Today It's free!

Bumpers

93GreenX

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
The rear bumper on my 93 XLT is bend to hell. Are there any, stronger than OEM, bumpers availible? Has anyone custom fabbed something?

I know the stronger the bumper, the more likely to cause damage to the frame, but the factory one is not overly sturdy.

Any pics would be great!
DC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aftermarket ones are not made for the first gen X anymore. There were a few out there but are now discontinued. You might find a stray one on Ebay or somewhere used. Anything you see now will be custom, or one for another app that was modified to fit.

I am in no hurry to replace it, so I will keep my eyes open. THanks for the info.

all of your stock looking aftermarket bumpers are equally crappy for strength.

if you buy a "step" bumper it will be a bit stronger, but will look odd IMO.

remember, most bumpers just interchange mounting brackets. get the right width for the X, then rework your brackets to make it happen.

example: a step bumper from a fullsize chevy will fit a fullsize ford or dodge, just the brackets are different.

Good Luck!

I replaced my rear chrome one with a black one. I waited 5 months looking for one. I got a great deal on an OEM one off of Ebay. It was for a 97 but it fit just fine. FYI all OEM rear bumpers from 91-97 fit a first gen. After 97 the plate moved to the hatch. There was a smittybilt heavy duty tube one on EBay a few weeks ago.

Back