Buying new Key FOB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying new Key FOB

JC56

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
Hi all, just got a new Explorer limited this past weekend and love it. I got the keyless entry/ignition start. I am looking at buying a new key FOB and not sure which numbers on the key I need to match up to make sure the key works. There's an FCC number an IC number, and a few others. What so I need to know to make sure I buy the proper key fob? I am looking at eBay to save a few dollars.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all, just got a new Explorer limited this past weekend and love it. I got the keyless entry/ignition start. I am looking at buying a new key FOB and not sure which numbers on the key I need to match up to make sure the key works. There's an FCC number an IC number, and a few others. What so I need to know to make sure I buy the proper key fob? I am looking at eBay to save a few dollars.

Thanks!
Not really my business but why are you buying another FOB. Just want to be sure I've not thought of something.

A couple of reasons, first I have read that u can reprogram your own if you have two keys. So I just want to have a third as a safety precaution and I commute over a mountain everyday and want to have an extra key on each side of the mountain just in case I lose my driving key that way I don't have to be towed to a ford dealership.

Thanks!
If you have the push button start/keyless entry, you will still have to have the key insert cut by the dealer for your particular vehicle.

It would also help us if you added the model of your Ex (Limited) to your profile so that it shows in the left margin. That way you don't have to include it in every post and members will have a better idea on how to reply to some issues.

Peter

Thanks!

You need the FCC number to match. Also make sure you get a FOB with the same number of buttons. Some don't have a button for the rear hatch. 2011+ Edge, MKX, & 2013+ Flex, Taurus, MKT, MKS Fobs will also work. Make sure it looks the same as yours (except for the Ford/Lincoln logo).

Most eBay sellers sell used FOBs with the same key (already cut for the original car) while some sell them with new un-cut keys.

Also, remember, you can only program up to 4 remotes/keys. You cannot delete them except through your dealer or a locksmith.

Great thanks! I also didn't know you could only program four, hopefully I will never need more than that. I think I am going for one of the uncut keys.

Thanks again

Thanks for the info, eBay cost on the key $90. Dealer $130. 65 to program
And 45 to cut the metal key. I am just going to program it myself seems simple enough.

I am just going to program it myself seems simple enough.

JC56 - did you ever program your 3rd key fob? I ordered a 3rd one also that is an exact match. Can you tell me what the programming procedure is for a push button start Explorer?

The procedure is on page 87 of your 2014 Owner's Guide. You will still have to get the mechanical keyblade cut if you ever want to use it.

Peter

The procedure is on page 87 of your 2014 Owner's Guide. You will still have to get the mechanical keyblade cut if you ever want to use it.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I understand about the keyblade. Is a dealer the best option to have a keyblade cut or is there a less costly alternative?

There are some posts where members stated that they had the blade cut at a local hardware store. You can always go to the nearest store and see if they can do the job. Just make sure you have an original with you. Worth a try.

Peter

There are some posts where members stated that they had the blade cut at a local hardware store. You can always go to the nearest store and see if they can do the job. Just make sure you have an original with you. Worth a try.

Peter

I ordered the new key fob from ebay & programmed it according to the owner manual. It took only a couple of minutes.

The key fob did not include the blank uncut blade, so I asked the seller who said that it came that way from Ford but the seller then offered to send me one free of charge. I received it a few days later & I took the blank key blade & the emergency key out of one of my original fobs & brought them to my dealer's parts dept. The person at the parts counter used my original key to cut the blank - free of charge. She said the dealer does not charge anything to make a duplicate key if the owner already has the blank key. I did not need any FCC numbers or any other information other than the model of the car.

I ordered the new key fob from ebay & programmed it according to the owner manual. It took only a couple of minutes.

The key fob did not include the blank uncut blade, so I asked the seller who said that it came that way from Ford but the seller then offered to send me one free of charge. I received it a few days later & I took the blank key blade & the emergency key out of one of my original fobs & brought them to my dealer's parts dept. The person at the parts counter used my original key to cut the blank - free of charge. She said the dealer does not charge anything to make a duplicate key if the owner already has the blank key. I did not need any FCC numbers or any other information other than the model of the car.

Very helpful to know they can do just the emergency key! I just noticed that somehow it has gone missing from the fob of our brand new Explorer :(

I was thinking the dealership would make me get a whole new fob. Will call and ask what they will charge for just the key cutting.

Very helpful to know they can do just the emergency key! I just noticed that somehow it has gone missing from the fob of our brand new Explorer :(

I was thinking the dealership would make me get a whole new fob. Will call and ask what they will charge for just the key cutting.

Or just buy new blank key & get it cut at any locksmith. Note, it seems there are 2 types, old & new, the Explorer will probably be the old type (compare the image with yours):

Old type:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140875242668

New type:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291151781634

Thanks omar302! I did find those listings, but I was worried the dealer might do something to bind the key to the fob. I tried testing the fob that lost the key, it did not open the doors. I then tried taking the emergency key out of the other fob and putting it into the other one - it still didn't work. Weirdly, the fob I just took the key out of still worked without the key... Maybe it stops working after the key has been out for a while?

My dealer said cutting a key will cost 20 dollars, blank key provided by them. As it's going in on Wednesday to get a small dent fixed anyway, I think I will just have it done there.

Whether the key blade is in the fob or not should have no impact on the operation of the fob itself.

Peter

Whether the key blade is in the fob or not should have no impact on the operation of the fob itself.

Peter

Thanks Peter. In that case I will have them take a look at that fob as well. Only got the car a week ago.

Hello all. Recently purchased a 2013 XLT. Love it, the only problem I have is that I only have one key. Everywhere I searched claimed that I have to have two keys in order to program additional ones. Is this true? I don't want to go and get one from the stealer. Any information will be helpful. Looking forward to find out what I can learn from this site.

Hello all. Recently purchased a 2013 XLT. Love it, the only problem I have is that I only have one key. Everywhere I searched claimed that I have to have two keys in order to program additional ones. Is this true? I don't want to go and get one from the stealer. Any information will be helpful. Looking forward to find out what I can learn from this site.
Welcome to the Forum Preston.:wave:
As per the Manual, yes you required 2 programmed keys in order to program others. The fact the dealer only gave you one key means that there could very likely be another one floating around somewhere. If you bought it from a Ford dealership I would go back to them and see if something can be worked out to supply another key.
Here is what the Owner's Manual says;
You must have two previously programmed coded keys and the new unprogrammed key readily accessible. See an authorized dealer to have the spare key programmed if two previously programmed coded keys are not available.
The procedure is on page 85 of the 4th print edition.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back