• Register Today It's free!

CAI and MAF

raw.legacy

Reaction score
City, State
corbin, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
i'm going to get the K&N 57 series probably on thursday (next paycheck :D) and i was wondering if i was to add a mass air flow sensor at this time, would i get better performance than with just the intake? or should i just leave the MAF stock?
thanks a lot...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't mean to burst your bubble on K&N, the choice is yours, but I'm not trading filtration for air flow.

Your MAF can handle much more than just the CAI. There's no need to upgrade unless you go forced induction.

I don't mean to burst your bubble on K&N, the choice is yours, but I'm not trading filtration for air flow.

What kind of CAI would you recommend then? I've only read positive reviews for the k&n...

It's not so much the intake itself, K&N likes to over oil their filters.. which causes problems with the MAF (and can sometimes ruin the MAF) I use a dry cotton w/stainless steel mesh for mine.. after using K&N style filters.. had to replace my MAF.. engine runs a lot better now.
Also, K&N are ridiculously over priced because of their reputation... checkout MAC. That's what I have, even comes with a blue K&N style filter. www.macperformance.com or you can support our tuner by ordering from www.hensonperformance.com

ok... do you have an aftermarket CAI fox?

On my Miata I have a Monster Flow, it's a show/race car.
I just don't like Aftermarket filter that overflow anyway. Most let the engine get more air than it can use.

That's just my choice on a DD unless you can get in and tune for the extra air.

any suggestions for an 04 4.6 V8?

On my Miata I have a Monster Flow, it's a show/race car.
I just don't like Aftermarket filter that overflow anyway. Most let the engine get more air than it can use.

That's just my choice on a DD unless you can get in and tune for the extra air.

what's a DD? and what would you recommend to tune the ex?

Back