Caliper Covers for Sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Caliper Covers for Sport

Just a heads up because very few Gen 5 owners will be replacing calipers in the near future. The NAPA Total Eclipse calipers are what appears and feels to be black powder coated OEM housings rebuilt by A1 Cardone. I just used these on my '05 ST and can attest that the black coated finish is very durable after having one fall off my workbench. No chipping or scratching, and wiped the scuffs off with no visible witness marks. Only issue is they, like certain model "T" years, are only available in black. Price per semi-loaded fronts w/o pads are about $75 each, rears $60, with a lifetime warranty. Another plus is NAPA's local availability in most areas, with no core return shipping costs. Just something to consider down the road. BTW, I love mine if you can't tell. ;)

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Article/67940/napa_introduces_total_eclipse_brake_caliper.aspx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

G2 Caliper Paint Installation with photos

Hello all, posting this for your viewing pleasure. I've been a taker of a lot of information from these forums so I thought I would give back.

I bought the G2 caliper paint kit mostly because it was a brush on finish as opposed to a spray can, I didn't like the idea of masking off the entire wheel well as well as half of my Explorer so I didn't ruin it with overspray. I obviously cannot comment on durability or any of that as I don't know yet. G2 gives their product a lifetime warranty.

Apparently One Drive embed doesn't work very well...

Ok I'll try again.

WP_20140510_014_zps6c9089ce.jpg

WP_20140510_013_zps3cba53e4.jpg

WP_20140510_012_zpsb83981fb.jpg

WP_20140510_010_zps4dccc2a3.jpg

WP_20140510_019_zps92989cea.jpg

WP_20140510_017_zps068387f0.jpg

WP_20140511_004_zps4c0b94ca.jpg

WP_20140511_003_zps3532d791.jpg

WP_20140511_002_zps02d98a21.jpg

I'll add some more photos once I put her back together...letting it set longer than recommended since I have the time. Instructions say reassemble after two hours and drive after 24 hours. Now you don't have to disassemble your calipers, they say you can paint them in place, I wanted a little better coverage so I tookem apart a little bit. Of course if you have the means you might as well buy new calipers and send them out to be powder coated and avoid all this nonsense completely...but thats a little expensive, this option was $35 and a nice Saturday afternoon.

All dry and put back together. Overall I would say the experience of using the G2 paint was great. Not having overspray, drips and runs was very nice. I ended up doing about 3 coats because it didn't harden as fast as the instructions stated 4-6 hours, so I was able to put on one more coat last night. It dried extremely smooth and even, they advertise it as self leveling and it does, no brush marks or runs.

Looks great. I have a black duplicolor brush on kit sitting in my garage. This gives me the motivation to break it out and get it done.

Looks great. I have a black duplicolor brush on kit sitting in my garage. This gives me the motivation to break it out and get it done.

Just be careful... I've had bad luck with the Duplicolor kit... It ran, showed brush marks, and left pieces of the provided brush in the finish! So much I had to strip and bought a G2 kit... The Duplicolor was a pain to strip!

You painted them?
Why didn't you put on some lovely calliper covers? :D

Good for you! Paint, or powder coat is only way. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

LOL I don't see any images. Just the std photobucket message stating the image has been moved or deleted.

Fixed it. Photobucket is comparable to about a 2002 or 2003 website in terms of usability and its features. But its free so I can't complain about that.

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum and I wanted to say hi. I look forward to some great ideas tips and tricks from other FE owners.

I also wanted to share an upgrade idea I just found on ebay and wanted to see if anybody else has tried them yet? Brake Disc Caliper Covers.

I would post pics but looks like i'm blocked until I have more post.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16129720536...em=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

I prefer the paint option. The covers seem kind of "ricer" in my opinion.

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum and I wanted to say hi. I look forward to some great ideas tips and tricks from other FE owners.

I also wanted to share an upgrade idea I just found on ebay and wanted to see if anybody else has tried them yet? Brake Disc Caliper Covers.

I would post pics but looks like i'm blocked until I have more post.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16129720536...em=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

$200....are they kidding?........the calipers don't cost that much. Try $19.99

The paint is a good cheap way to go. The covers were not cheap but IMHO it looks cleaner then the shiny black paint. Since I'm the new guy on the forum I'm not sure what "ricer" is but I think it refers to Asia? The covers are made in the USA and very well built very solid. I also like the very OEM look of the SPORT logo. Thanks for the feedback.

Ricer is slang for tacky stupid crap people started putting on hondas/acuras/nissans etc... then it quickly got into the domestic side of things. like altezza clear head lights, or obnoxiously blue halogen bulbs.. or best example, a non functional hood scoop.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You just need to say "Fast and Furious" :)

Back