Caliper Covers or Painting/Powder Coating | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Caliper Covers or Painting/Powder Coating

Only available at dealer, yes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2013 Brakes

I ran into a problem with the brakes on my 2013 LTD 2WD last week and this thread seems the most appropriate for getting advice on the matter.

In what I would classify as an uncommon scenario, traffic on the turnpike went from 70-75mph to 0 several times within a span of less than 5 minutes. They were somewhat aggressive accelerations and 'sudden stops' but not hard enough to activate the ABS. The Explorer did fine the first 3 times, but on the 4th stop there was significant brake fade. The stopping distance was probably triple what it should have been and fortunately I was able to get onto the shoulder to avoid other cars. Kudos to the Explorer's handing.

The dealer was not able to find any issues with the brakes and has contacted Ford for assistance.

I have three questions.
1) Any thoughts on whether an SUV should be capable of more than 3 sudden stops?
2) Are the brakes on the '13 the same as the '12? I found conflicting information in the forum and am wondering if a flaw has been introduced.
3) Will the Interceptor calipers and rotors fit on a 2WD?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone know if these caliper covers fit on the 13 Ex Sport? I've read conflicting stories on brake sizes between the sport and limited/XLT

MGP Caliper Covers Added on my Sport (pics)

MGP finally came out with the correct ones for the '13 Sport, (part #10229) so ordered them in Ruby Red with the Ford logo to match. Installation was a breeze, just took the opportunity to wax the rims while I had them off and that took up the most time. I like it ... what do you folks think?

Overall pic; http://www.flickr.com/photos/15787274@N04/8742283685/in/photostream

Front close up; http://www.flickr.com/photos/15787274@N04/8742283615/in/photostream

Back close up;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15787274@N04/8743401816/in/photostream

Looks very nice and clean. I'm not personally a huge fan of the covers, but would love to see some painted calipers! Either a great improvement over the stock look! Love the color btw!

Looks good, I kinda thinking about getting them myself

Sorry but caliper covers look cheesy! Paint, or powdercoat is the better way.

nice.
do they fit in the space without any issue?

I've always hated on those things in the Lightning and Harley truck crowd, but on the Sport, I'm kind of digging them. Painted calipers never stay looking perfect with all the nooks and crannies in the caliper casting, and eventually always have areas just impossible to clean perfect. And with as open as our wheels are, these may look pretty nice.

We've got a white sport, I'm thinking the black covers would look subtle enough to clean the look up, but not stand out too bad. Did you have to order direct? I didnt' see that part # listed anywhere for sale. Any coupon codes or anything?

these are pretty neat...aw what? no 2013?

carid

I've always hated on those things in the Lightning and Harley truck crowd, but on the Sport, I'm kind of digging them. Painted calipers never stay looking perfect with all the nooks and crannies in the caliper casting, and eventually always have areas just impossible to clean perfect. And with as open as our wheels are, these may look pretty nice.

We've got a white sport, I'm thinking the black covers would look subtle enough to clean the look up, but not stand out too bad. Did you have to order direct? I didnt' see that part # listed anywhere for sale. Any coupon codes or anything?

Ordered direct from MGP ... use the part # quoted as it won't be on their site for a while. Here's the link: http://www.calipercovers.com/_e/page/1010/About_Us.htm

Think we can get a group buy going?!

Id be interested in a group buy.

I've always hated on those things in the Lightning and Harley truck crowd, but on the Sport, I'm kind of digging them. Painted calipers never stay looking perfect with all the nooks and crannies in the caliper casting, and eventually always have areas just impossible to clean perfect.

Beg to differ

caliper 1.jpg
caliper2.jpg
caliper3.jpg
caliper4.jpg
caliper5.jpg
caliper6.jpg

bake em at 450 degrees, then use a beadblaster. That will get them clean!! Powder coating will then stick real good.

What I been saying all along! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Beg to differ

IMG_1932.jpg

007.jpg

5-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

IMG_3255.jpg

HPIM3634.jpg

bake em at 450 degrees, then use a beadblaster. That will get them clean!! Powder coating will then stick real good.

I'm not debating that powdercoated calipers look like crap. Go back and read my post, I said painting. Powdercoating is definitely the preferred way to do it 100x's over. But since the vehicle is a daily driver I don't have the down time to take my calipers off, get them powdered, then re-install and re-bleed the brakes. And when they're just rattle canned it never fills the small textured areas of the caliper to make it as smooth as powdercoated, so they never stay looking 100% brand new.

Paint works well and it's cheap. Mine looked like **** as they started to rust and get caked in a bunch of debris. So I cleaned them, sanded them and painted them black. Might be a bit ghetto the way I did it, but it works for me.

IMG_3328.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3331.jpg

paint does work, never said it didn't. Been painting calipers for years. But now take a pic up close after 10 or 20k miles, the brake dust builds up and even pulling the wheels off to scrub them they don't look as good as new.

anyone know if caliper covers fit?

...anyone know if these caliper covers will fit on a 2013 Limited with stock polished 20" mags?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the way to go. $43 with $50 core charge is dirt cheap for calipers. This is the way to go once a brake change is due.

Order it from some of the Ford online places that discount and it's even better.
Description MSRP Price Your Price Core Price Qty Total Cost

CALIPER ASY - BRAKE $43.63 $28.80 $50.00 $78.80

CALIPER ASY - BRAKE $43.62 $28.79 $50.00 $78.79

HOUSING $113.15 $74.68 $50.00 $124.68

HOUSING $113.15 $74.68 $50.00 $124.68

KIT - BRAKE LINING $68.42 $45.16 $0.00 $45.16

KIT - BRAKE LINING $66.63 $43.98 $0.00 $43.98

ROTOR ASY $66.93 $44.18 $0.00 $88.36

ROTOR ASY - BRAKE $66.63 $43.98 $0.00 $87.96

from www.tousleyfordparts.com $572 without core charges

Back