• Register Today It's free!

cam chain cassette

jmoracco

Reaction score
City, State
amarillo
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer4x4
does anyone know if it is possible to replace drivers side aka left side timing chain cassette without removing the chain. And if so, does anyone know who sells just the cassette.. Thanks! By the way these 4.0sohc motors; if you dont have timing problems that is, seem like really good motors. this one has got 135000 and runs smooth, clean and is somewhat powerful!

Yes it is possible. But not easy. The tricky part is getting the retaining bolt undone from behind the jackshaft cog. I will try and find you the thread that shows this.
Here you go step by step with lots of pics.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161701&highlight=OTC+6488

And yes they are powerful engines. very close in power to the 5.0l V8, less than 10kw difference.

P.S you do have to remove the cam sprocket with the chain on to R&R the guide. Read thread thoroughly it will explain how to do this without the tools. Please note I could not get that bolt undone and had to undo the jackshaft retaining bolt. Be sure to buy the genuine parts! I've heard bad things about the after market one's. I do not think the cassette comes by itself, the cassette is the whole assembly. If you are thinking of only replacing just the cassette I would strongly urge you to replace the crank to jackshaft tensioner as well at the very minimum. You don't want to be there again for a long time.

Thanks for the info! it makes me feel a bit better that it can be without removing the head. And actually the main reason im goin in to there is to replace crank to jackshaft tensioner and guide, but i have heard soo much about the left cam that im going to give it a good look over and if there is anything suspicious about it i will replace, dont want to but if it doesnt look rite i will. i just wish i had done this before i installed the motor. i just installed it, got from junkyard and knew i should have done the work. now im paying for it. Lesson learned i guess.Once again thanks!

Thanks for the info! it makes me feel a bit better that it can be without removing the head. And actually the main reason im goin in to there is to replace crank to jackshaft tensioner and guide, but i have heard soo much about the left cam that im going to give it a good look over and if there is anything suspicious about it i will replace, dont want to but if it doesnt look rite i will. i just wish i had done this before i installed the motor. i just installed it, got from junkyard and knew i should have done the work. now im paying for it. Lesson learned i guess.Once again thanks!

If it's not the updated cassette then replace it

Back