Camshaft Position Sensor Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft Position Sensor Questions

nathaniversen

Reaction score
City, State
Gig Harbor, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited
I've been hearing the CPS chirping noise in my 95 Ex for a few months now, and I have a few questions about it.

1. What is the chirping noise coming from? Is it from inside the little sensor itself, or does it have to do with the camshaft synchronizer? Basically, which one do I *need* to replace to eliminate the noise?

2. Is there an average time to failure after the noise shows up? Can I expect it to just explode one day?

3. Is there a GOOD write up on the site with directions on how to replace it?

4. Does anybody have any suggestions on a cheap place to get the parts online, or should I just go to an auto parts store?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. What is the chirping noise coming from? Is it from inside the little sensor itself, or does it have to do with the camshaft synchronizer? Basically, which one do I *need* to replace to eliminate the noise?

it's the synchro, oil builds up on it and bakes, the noise you are hearing is it rubbing against the housing

2. Is there an average time to failure after the noise shows up? Can I expect it to just explode one day?

nope, could last for years or minutes, but if it dose go it coulkd take out your oil pump with it

3. Is there a GOOD write up on the site with directions on how to replace it?

probably

4. Does anybody have any suggestions on a cheap place to get the parts online, or should I just go to an auto parts store?

I had to go with a napa part nothing else would fit
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207905

Alright, thanks hazmat.

I just replaced the CPS in my OHV...

I replaced the shortblock in my 99 Explorer and the CPS needed to be in the block and I wasn't going to use the old one...I bought one from AdvanceAutoParts and it came with the alignment tool, sensor, and is brand new...And yes it is the Dorman unit which is supposed to be a POS but mine is working just fine so far...I think I paid 48 for the whole unit...

This is how I installed mine..

Set the #1 cylinder at TDC...

Snap the alignment tool into the top of the camshaft synchronizer body...

Turn it over and lube the driven gear, the body, and the shaft with lubriplate...

Point the arrow on the guide on top of the alignment tool to aim the body at approx. 60 degrees from the back centerline of the engine...

Start inserting the body into the block and the bottom starts to engage the oil pump driveshaft...As the body goes further into the block and engages the camshaft the body will rotate clockwise and the arrow on the guide will end up about 15 degrees from the back centerline of the engine still facing the firewall...

The body of the synchronizer should be touching the top of the block at this point...Install the holddown and bolt, remove the alignment tool, and install the sensor on top of the body...

You are done...

I got a noise underhood but it is a sohc 4.0. If anyone would listen to it at 1:36 to 1:37 you can hear it best. For some reason the camera doesn't pick it up when the engine is on. Well if anyone has an idea, please let me know. Thanks sincerely!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0kSEhkVYg8

Back