Can a 4WD explorer be identified from the VIN # | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can a 4WD explorer be identified from the VIN #

brian_f

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit area
I am looking at possibly buying a used 04 explorer from an independent lot, 83K miles for $6700. I am looking for any and all advice as I know next to nothing about vehicles.

How can I tell if its a 4WD vehicle? And if it is, how can I tell if the 4WD is working?

I ran an autocheck.com on it, and this is very puzzling - it only shows 2 records - the initial sale to the dealer in 04, and then 83K miles purchased at an auction, supposed by this used car lot. Where are the intermediate owners? Does this smell like a problem?

Does anyone have a carfax account that they could run this thru for me ? VIN # is 1fmzu73w64zb20807 - thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am looking at possibly buying a used 04 explorer from an independent lot, 83K miles for $6700. I am looking for any and all advice as I know next to nothing about vehicles.

How can I tell if its a 4WD vehicle? And if it is, how can I tell if the 4WD is working?

I ran an autocheck.com on it, and this is very puzzling - it only shows 2 records - the initial sale to the dealer in 04, and then 83K miles purchased at an auction, supposed by this used car lot. Where are the intermediate owners? Does this smell like a problem?

Does anyone have a carfax account that they could run this thru for me ? VIN # is 1fmzu73w64zb20807 - thank you!

its a 4 door 4wd.. We don't allow carfax reports to be shared due to its a violation of their terms of use agreement.

i thought U73 was 4wd? Not sure it was years ago. Anyway, only way for sure is to look under it and look for front driveshafts. Switch on the dash is not enough as AWD has no switches. There are VIN decoders . .
If its from the Detroit area my guess its 4wd or AWD, havent hardly seen any 2wd up here, but i havent look under them all. . ..lol. have no idea on that autocheck, maybe they only report on dealer transactions???

VIN # is 1fmzu73w64zb20807 - thank you!

Not carfax...but

1=USA
F=Ford
M=MPV
Z= Weight code
U73= 4WD XLT
W= 4.6 V8
6= Check digit
4=2004
Z= St. Louis
B20807= Assembly Sequence

This one's the official vin decoder from Ford
Dead Link Removed

OASIS RESULT:
1FMZU73W64ZB20807
USA
EN

VEHICLE INFORMATION

2004 EXPLORER 4DR

BODY STYLE
4 DR XLT MPV 4X4

ENGINE
4.6L EFI SOHC

TRANSMISSION
5R55S AUTOMATIC

AXLE CODE

ENGINE CALIBRATION
4U51C50A

GENERAL WARRANTY INFORMATION

WARRANTY START DATE
05/21/2004

BUILD DATE
05/21/2004

-------------------------------------------

these are the only repairs that show up on Ford warranty history

on august 12 2005

Cust Comments:
CUST. STATES THAT AT SLOW SPEEDS WHEN MAKING A SHARP TURN THERE IS LOUD CLUNKING TYPE SOUND THAT FEELS LIKE THE 4X4 IS ENGAGED FOLLOWED BY A WOBBLING TYPE SENSATION. PLEASE INSPECT.

Tech Comments:
4209 CC 07 PERFORM AXLE DIAG, R & I AXLE ASSEMBLY, DISASEMBLE AND INSPECT, FOUND BACKLASH AND PRELOAD TO BE OUT OF SPECS, PROPERLY SET UP AND REPLACE SHIMS, ALSO REPLACE BOTH AXLE SEALS, REFILL FLUID, TEST DRIVE.

and

on the same date

Cust Comments:
CUST. STATES THAT THE TRUCK WHEN PUT INTO REVERSE PAUSES THEN JERKS. PLEASE INSPECT. CC P09

Tech Comments:
7G391 CC 42 DIAG, REPLACE SOLENOID BODY, REFILL FLUID, REPROGRAM PCM PER TSB 05 15 04.

Back