Can a trans flush help a problematic trans on '05 Ford Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can a trans flush help a problematic trans on '05 Ford Explorer?

desertheat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
I have an '05 Ford Explorer XLT. It's always had some issues with the transmission but the instances that I experienced were few and far between.

Two months ago after the truck hit 130K miles, the CHECK TRANSMISSION came on and the O/D flashed a few times. Other than that, everything was fine. Took the Explorer to two different shops who told me that it was two different things, one said solenoid and the other said it might be a sensor (can't recall which one). Both shops charged in excess of $500 and said that they could not guarantee that this would resolve the problem.

A week ago, a constant whining noise began. The sound dies down after I hit a gear, then winds back up again as the RPM's go up.
Tranny is now slipping on and off.

I was told that I should get a trans flush because I've never gotten one on this truck. Went down to a local shop and didn't tell the guy about the problems I have been having with the trans. The mechanic proceeded to call me at home a bit later and told me that he chose to ran a diagnostic on it, the truck is slipping in 5th gear, and the codes he came back up with indicated to him that the trans needs to be replaced. He also said that the torque converter is what is making the noise.

Has anyone ever heard of a trans flush solving the trans problems on a Ford Explorer? I know that there is some debate about whether trans flushes are good or do more harm.

I have an Equus Innova 3100 code scanner but it does not offer up codes for the trans.

Can anyone give me a good code reader brand/model to buy that might help diagnose these codes (after I didn't take up the mechanics offer at the 3rd shop to rebuild the trans, he wouldn't tell me what codes he found).

I'd just like to know what the problem is to decide what I should do. Seems like everyone has different answers. I feel bad for some of the people on other forums that spent over $3K and were running out of money and none of the solutions that we offered up, fixed the problem.

I wish this truck had a freakin' dipstick.

Usually only the trans codes show up with the ford scanner until the engine light comes on. The 5R55S trans is problematic to say the least. At 130K it will be time for replacement or rebuild. But careful of rebuilds because most shops always have problems and usually come back.

Thanks Swetrid.

I am very wary of the 3rd mechanic doing a rebuild. He wouldn't tell me what codes he pulled up after I didn't get the work done through him. Currently, there are no lights up on the dash...no engine light, or check transmission notice, or even a flashing OD light.

The flashing OD light just comes up once in a while and flashes briefly.

Back