can i do this myself? ford wants $$$$ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can i do this myself? ford wants $$$$

jasonb

Jackstand Wheeler
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
hey folks..
well after trying to figure out my CEL problem.. i took it in hoping it would be the intake manifold gaskets that are under warranty still. it wasn't that.
they called and told me that the PCV hose is cracked badly and is causing carbon buildup as well. they want to replace this hose, run a decarbon through, and replace the fuel filter (it needs that). now i'll do the fuel filter myself for sure, but can i do the other stuff. is the decarbon just like the seafoam type deal? can i do the PCV hose easily or is this a hard to get to hose? they want approx $700 to do this. if it isn't something i can do myself, then i'll likely get another independant shop to do it all, but i'd rather do it myself if i can.
i don't mind getting my hands dirty and am relatively high on the mechanically inclined scale, but i don't want to get in over my head and cause a lot of problems with my vehicle either. any input would be appreciated! thanks in advance!

jasonb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did the seafoam thing last week you should be able to do this all yourself,just dont be afraid off all the white smoke you are going to get from the seafoam:D

For $700 I'll fly down there and do it for you. If that tells you anything.

Yes Ford has some intake cleaner they call "de-carbonizer" or some crap like that. Same thing as sea foam.

The PCV hose is about $1.50, the PVC valve is about $3 and a can of Seafoam is about $8, the fuel filter is like $3 and the tool to get the fuel filter off is about $5. So you decide.

Rip off artist dealer service department.

Yes they would do a good job for your $700 and they would do it right, and probably get a bunch of carbon out, but that does not justify $700, plus you know them, they will find something else that needs to be done in there too.....

hehe.. yeah i know the parts are not the cost.. he acted like the hose was hard to get to saying they would be taking the manifold gaskets out which i assumed meant taking it apart? that seemed like a lot to replace the hose.

i'd look in my chilton but it's at home. is the hose that easy to do. or do you think he wanted so much to take the stuff apart to basically seafoam it? where can i get seafoam?
thanks for the replies guys.

did i mention i hate these dealer service departments!

Is yours the OHV or the SOHC engine?

The PVC on the SOHC may be harder, I just dont know.

for $700 you had better be getting new upper and lower intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and a complete intake cleaning.

its the SOHC..

he did say it would get new gaskets. that's why i assumed he was plannin on taking the manifold apart and hand cleaning it, not just flushing chemicals through.

i think i'll just do it all myself. anymore input is welcome. thanks for the info guys!

Well replacing the gaskets I thought was a TSB on the SOHC, should cost you anything.

Doing the lower intake gasket is no walk in the park, plan on the whole weekend.

it was a TSB. mine have been done already way back when it first came out along with the cam tensioner. i assume the gaskets would be free but not the labor since they didn't cause this problem according to him.

so the high $$ is probably from the labor involved to take the manifold apart and clean it out? is that going to be worth it or should i go with a sea foam solution?

Jason, I would first try to get a detailed explanation of the problem in writing and exactly what he plans to do to your truck. Then, I would try to get a second opinion from another dealer and see what they say. Something sounds a little funny here.

If the gasket is leaking then it needs to be replaced, and they should pay for that since it was a defect from the factory and also fixed by them once before.

If your problem is a cracked PVC hose and lots of carbon buildup, I would tell them to screw off because there is no need to go in there and do the gaskets again.

ok..

going by after work to get all detailed info. based on what people in this thread and outside that i've talked to, they are full of it. i'll try it all tonight and tomorrow and see what happens. thanks for all the input. i'll post again if anything happens. please feel free to add more comments.

ok.. while searching this topic a bit on the site.. it seems that members are saying ford is supposed to GIVE us a free pcv valve at least at 60k. is this true? is it just the valve? apparently it says this in the manual but my manual is my truck at the ford dealer waiting on me to rescue it. thanks.

edit: i found the stuff about the free pcv valve at 60k.. nevermind that question..

well i think its all fixed now. a whole $1.19 worth of parts did the trick. it was one of the little pcv hoses that is EASY to get to, not the one that is kindof hidden under the back of the engine. took like 2 minutes to pull and replace after realizing which hose had the gash in it. anyway, the idle is nice and normal now, not all choppy. they wanted to "flash the pcm" also. is that necessary or will the ole disconnect the neg battery cable be fine. ive driven twice after doing this and the light hasn't come back on so i'll see what happens tomorrow.

still gotta get the sea foam or something. the pep boys here looked at me like i was crazy when i asked if they had it. they'd never heard of it. anyway, thanks for the input guys. $700.. pfft. its sad at how they will try to rip you off so much.

Disconnecting your battery will clear your trouble codes, readiness tests, O2 sensor tests and your adaptive learning curves. Using a scanner to clear the codes will only clear the codes, readiness tests and your O2 sensor tests leaving your adaptive learning curves intact.

Originally posted by jasonb
hey folks..
well after trying to figure out my CEL problem.. i took it in hoping it would be the intake manifold gaskets that are under warranty still. it wasn't that.
they called and told me that the PCV hose is cracked badly and is causing carbon buildup as well. they want to replace this hose, run a decarbon through, and replace the fuel filter (it needs that).

WAIT a min....I was up at ford just today and they said that there is a recall on that pcv valve. I said okay then fix it, and they said that they will only if i complain and they find something wrong. Now you might want to check back with them on this but that might interest you. BTW hope this isn't too late...

my valve was fine.. it was a busted hose that was causing the problem.

i will be back at 60k to get my free replacement valve though. then i'll do whatever i can to never go to a dealership service dept again.

well no light back on after reseting the puter... smooth idle and everything. looks like i'm good to go. thanks again everyone for all the info.

The re-flash for the PCM is also a TSB, or recall. Thats why they wanted to do it....you can find out about that all over these boards, I have read about it a hundered times........

Glad you got it working! hahahaha Dealers = suck

Back