Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Can I get a current update on Tuners for 4.0 SOHC

Discussion in 'Computers, Chips & Tuning' started by BrettMavrik, May 19, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. BrettMavrik

BrettMavrik New Member

City, State:
      Las vegas, Nevada
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1996 V8 AWD XLT
      Hey guys,
      All the threads I've been researching on chips and programmers for the 4.0 SOHC are a decade old. Much can change in ten years, so can I get an update on where to go, who to contact, and what are my options for products currently available from whomever, on tuning / programmers, etc. On the 4.0 Liter V6 SOHC Explorer please...?

I picked up a low mileage honey of a black 2001 Ford Explorer Limited 4x4 with every available option including heated seats for a sweet deal. I just love this vehicle, but I would like to tune it just a bit to gain better off the line power, a higher top end, and firmer shifts.

So what's out there, and who's still in the game with focused tuning for this particular set up...?

Thanks in advance....
      'Brett

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. prosparky99

prosparky99 New Member

City, State:
      Prescott, AZ
      1999 Explorer XL
      Brett... Buy a set of headers, good ones. I found a great set for under $300 and what a difference they make. More power off the line and better gas mileage too. Best single hop-up you can make to get more bang for the buck.

4. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      Buy an SCT tuner model 3015 or newer. They have preloaded tunes and you can adjust shift points, firmness, rear 02 and egr functions. The canned tunes are good enough for a stock or lightly model truck. Forced induction or major airflow mods beyond intake and muffler would require a custom tune. All SCT tuners at least have 3 available spots for custom tunes.