Can I play movies stored on my USB stick | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I play movies stored on my USB stick

majicmic

Reaction score
City, State
Honolulu, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Can I play movies on the front screen that are stored on a USB stick?
And what format must they be in?

Thanks, Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, Mike

Funny you should ask!

My friend picked up his 2012 Edge Sport last night (sweet ride), and I dumped a bunch of stuff on a USB drive to test out the functionality. Had some music, a video, and a new wallpaper.

The music worked flawlessly, the wallpaper loaded fine, but the movie was a no go.

I think any video needs to be run through the A/V jacks.

Also, your post might get more responses if in the IVT/MFT section of this forum. Maybe a Mod can help out and move this thread (Thanks!).

Thanks, Mike

Hi, Mike!

You can't watch movies from a USB flash drive, but you can from a portable DVD player, iPad, iPod, game system, or camcorder. There's more information on how to connect a device on page 36 of the MyFord Touch Supplement. If you don't have a copy handy, please go to the following link and select Owner Guide:

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/HomePage

Rebecca

Hi, Mike!

You can't watch movies from a USB flash drive, but you can from a portable DVD player, iPad, iPod, game system, or camcorder. There's more information on how to connect a device on page 36 of the MyFord Touch Supplement. If you don't have a copy handy, please go to the following link and select Owner Guide:

Rebecca

What about video on a Microsoft Zune via USB? My computer doesnt want to download the pdf.

Sorry I've said it before but, with an eight screen, Sync is supposed to do it all, with everything intergrated together...but doesn't play video,:rolleyes: Ford really cheaped out, and dropped the ball. Buying the 'Limited', I'm dissapointed. Even more so cause I can't put in a high end Kenwood (that plays video) since everthing is linked together without MAJOR expense.

Why do we have to jump through hoops for feeble, piece meal video (portable DVD indeed), and added cost? :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

Hi, Mike!

Rebecca

What about video on a Microsoft Zune via USB? My computer doesnt want to download the pdf.

In order to watch video, you have to be connected via the A/V ports. You need a special cable that connects to your Zune and has RCA jacks on the other end. For an iPod/iPhone it's called a composite cable. Check out this thread on our Owner to Owner site:

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb&tid=3994

Sorry I've said it before but, with an eight screen, Sync is supposed to do it all, with everything intergrated together...but doesn't play video,:rolleyes: Ford really cheaped out, and dropped the ball. Buying the 'Limited', I'm dissapointed. Even more so cause I can't put in a high end Kenwood (that plays video) since everthing is linked together without MAJOR expense.

Why do we have to jump through hoops for feeble, piece meal video (portable DVD indeed), and added cost? :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

I'm sorry, JETZ, I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to. You can watch videos on the MFT while your vehicle is in park and connected to the A/V ports. MFT isn't a DVD player.

If you're talking about watching video while driving, that's a separate issue all together; we have to follow current safety guidelines.

Rebecca

Thanks for the great answers everyone!

New Question: has anybody figured out a way to hack the system so you can play videos while driving?

New Question: has anybody figured out a way to hack the system so you can play videos while driving?

And why would you want to do that???? Pay attention to the road....Get a cheap portable dvd player for the kids in the back if they need entertaining...

aren't the kids ENOUGH 'entertainment' :) :) :)

Most mfg's are limited by the laws that says no video in front seat while driving....
(at least that's the way it was on my audi, my ford truck, my Excursions, the mazda my daughter had, the VW, the...)

so you have to lay your seat down and watch it behind the passenger seat while driving !!!:eek::eek::roll:

There are laws against that and for good reason. Videos should be played behind the front row seats.

Peter

Since you can only watch video in park, what is the point of trying to play off of a USB drive?

I would like to display Map video from my laptop on the center screen. Any ideas on this?

I agree with what everyone says, it's dangerous to be driving and playing movies at the same time, however could be entertaining for a passenger and what not.

Check out this link:
http://www.coastaletech.com/mytouch.htm

This might do the trick as well as several other interesting features.

I agree with what everyone says, it's dangerous to be driving and playing movies at the same time, however could be entertaining for a passenger and what not.
The passenger can watch it on their tablet or a laptop, SO AS NOT TO DISTRACT THE DRIVER.
All we can hope for is that any idiot that decides to modify their unit to play video while driving only ends up hurting themselves when the inevitable crash occurs due to their stupidity, and not any innocent pedestrians/drivers.

You can't watch movies from a USB flash drive, but you can from a portable DVD player, iPad, iPod, game system, or camcorder.

Rebecca

I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to add for your future recommendations that new iPads (ipad 4, mini), iPods, iPhones (5 and up) can not play video to the MFT screen as there is no (and likely will be no) composite video cable for the lightning connector on those devices.

The passenger can watch it on their tablet or a laptop, SO AS NOT TO DISTRACT THE DRIVER.
All we can hope for is that any idiot that decides to modify their unit to play video while driving only ends up hurting themselves when the inevitable crash occurs due to their stupidity, and not any innocent pedestrians/drivers.

during trips I have had video playing on my dash regularly for passengers for well over a decade. A crash is not "inevitable". Responsible driving includes the ability to prioritize driving over distractions. Playing with the radio, talking on the phone (even via hands free), and eating/drinking are all far more distracting than a passenger watching video on a screen that is below my eye line as a driver. In fact the numerous billboards and video billboards we pass every time we drive are more distracting than video that isn't in my eye line.

Because you can't drive doesn't mean you should tell others how to be responsible drivers. I have 16 years of an accident free driving record and I've had screens in the dash capable of playing video for passengers for roughly 13 of those years.

Nope, no video playback from any input source other than those antequated RCA jacks. Ford gets an F from me for MFT. it's 2013 and no one should still be using RCA jacks for any form of video playback! There was a glimmer of hope when I stumbled upon idatalink's maestro system which would have given us an option to yank out that god awful headunit and put it something far superior, but alas their engineers informed me that they would NOT be designing a maestro unit for the Explorers due to the complexities of the all digital clusters... Already thinking 'trade in' for my 2011!

during trips I have had video playing on my dash regularly for passengers for well over a decade. A crash is not "inevitable". Responsible driving includes the ability to prioritize driving over distractions. Playing with the radio, talking on the phone (even via hands free), and eating/drinking are all far more distracting than a passenger watching video on a screen that is below my eye line as a driver. In fact the numerous billboards and video billboards we pass every time we drive are more distracting than video that isn't in my eye line.

Because you can't drive doesn't mean you should tell others how to be responsible drivers. I have 16 years of an accident free driving record and I've had screens in the dash capable of playing video for passengers for roughly 13 of those years.

Like I said....it is inevitable before your distracting behavior will do you in. I suppose you are also very adept at texting and shaving while you drive as well.

Because I choose to be a safe, less distracted driver doesn't suggest that I can't drive, I just choose to obey the traffic laws. The laws were created because of buffoons like you to protect the rest of us from your careless and holier than thou attitudes. No go back to watching your video......

Like I said....it is inevitable before your distracting behavior will do you in. I suppose you are also very adept at texting and shaving while you drive as well.

Because I choose to be a safe, less distracted driver doesn't suggest that I can't drive, I just choose to obey the traffic laws. The laws were created because of buffoons like you to protect the rest of us from your careless and holier than thou attitudes. No go back to watching your video......

Look who's holier than now.. You are the one insisting that I watch the video just because it is playing. You are the one making prophecies about my demise (and the demise of others). You are the one insisting that because a video is playing that there is no way to be a safe driver. Look back at my previous statements.

Just because there is no video in your car doesn't make you a less distracted driver, just because there is video playing in my car doesn't make me an unsafe driver.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can't ignore distractions while driving then that does mean you have a fundamental issue with your driving skills. There are always distractions. I commend you on limiting the number of possible distractions in your vehicle since you have an inherent problem coping with them though.

Back