Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Can I tow 5,000 pounds?

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by RLWSNOOK, May 20, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. RLWSNOOK

RLWSNOOK Member

City, State:
    OH
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2011 XLT
    So I'm looking to buy a new boat.

The boat with gas and gear weighs 4,000 trailer 1,000. Total weight 5,000 pounds.

I want to tow it one time 1.5 hours on a pretty flat highway (I live in the midwest) from the previous owners house to my marina where the boat will be put in a rack.

I will be alone in the car and weigh 160 pounds. I have a 2011 with FWD and the factory trailer tow package.

I know the max is 5,000. Kelly blue book showed towing what they claim to be 5,000... But I want to know if I'm crazy for trying this or if I should be okay?

I"m assuming ford has a margin of error in there for idiots like me who want to tow the max their cars can... Is this true? Or should I rent a truck to tow?

Note I'm not going to be pulling the boat out of the water or launching the boat, just driving on the highway (very slowly of course haha). And I won't have anything in the car with me other than myself...

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. drumguru1

drumguru1 Active Member

City, State:
    Texas
    2011 Limited
    Yes you will be able to tow 5,000lbs. If your car is a FWD it has a GCWR of 9920 which means that the car plus all gear people and towing can be up to 9920 subtracting the curb weight of about 4600 lbs and boat and trailer of 5000 lbs you get about 300 lbs of gear and people you can have in the car. I think this is how it works. Someone please correct me if im wrong and I will change my statement.

Just curious, if you are not going to launch the boat how do you fish? haha jk.

4. RLWSNOOK

RLWSNOOK Member

City, State:
    OH
    2011 XLT
    thanks for the reply.

I keep my boats on a rack at a marina.. they have big fork lifts to take them in and out. That way they are indoors while not in use and during the winter, but no need for me to have to launch every time, I just call them up and they put it in the water and tie it up to the dock for me :thumbsup:

Makes boating soooo much easier!!

5. drumguru1

drumguru1 Active Member

City, State:
    Texas
    2011 Limited
    I know i do the same thing. I was just making a joke! Terrible attempt at one but I made myself laugh and that's half the battle.

6. dco43054

dco43054 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    cmh
    16 XLT
    Check out the tow specs. They call for a weight equalizing hitch to be able to tow at maximum.

Does that mean it won't pull the load? Maybe not. But that's how they spec it.

7. JDraper

JDraper Somewhat Functional Moderator Emeritus

Media:
    City, State:
    McVeytown, PA
    '18 XLT
    You should be fine. I just towed my 3400lb Mustang on a 16' steel twin axle trailer for about 300 miles with no problems, and I don't have a weight distribution hitch. Explorer towed it extremely well.

8. RLWSNOOK

RLWSNOOK Member

City, State:
    OH
    2011 XLT
    Good to hear. That is pretty much the same weight as I'll have so good to know.

9. patkell

patkell New Member

City, State:
    penticton bc canada
    2011 explorer ltd
    Does anyone know if Ford has a trailer brake controller for the 11explorer or do I have to install an after market unit, i have the trailerntow package

Thanks

10. tmilicia

tmilicia Active Member

City, State:
    Kent, Ohio
    2011 EX Limited 4x4
    This is what I'm using, Tekonsha P3:

[​IMG]

Towing this:

[​IMG]

Also, Blue Ox SwayPro WDH: