Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

can someone explain?

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by rydinhigh, September 21, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. rydinhigh

rydinhigh Guest

I am so curious and could never understand this. When they give measurements they say 275/55/r17

I know that the last number is the size of the rim. what are the first two numbers for?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      Straight from tires.com

A term that describes a tire's height-to-width proportion. If a tire's sidewall height were 65% of its cross section width, its aspect ratio would be 65. In the tire size expressed as 205/65-15, the number 65 is the aspect ratio.

[​IMG]

Basically, the 205 is width in mm (I believe). And the 65 means the height (not overall height, but sidewall height) is 65% of the width.

4. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Vancouver B.C, Canada
      1992 XL Ex-Police
      I think the 205 is sidewall height in MM. The sceond number is the aspect ratio of that . A 235 75 R15 tire is 10 MM HIGHER than a 225 75 R15.

5. rydinhigh

rydinhigh Guest

6. JDraper

JDraper Somewhat Functional Moderator Emeritus

Media:
      City, State:
      McVeytown, PA
      '18 XLT

Actually, the 205 is the tread width, not the height. The second number is the aspect ratio, which is the height of the tire sidewall as a percentage of the tread width. In your example above, a 235-75/15 tire has a sidewall height of 176.25mm (235 x .75) and the 225-75/15 tire has a sidewall height of 168.75mm (225 x .75).

7. Howard

Howard Moderator Elite Explorer Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Milton Keynes
      1998 SOHC UK SPEC
      The first number 275 is the tread width the second number 55 is side wall height as percentage of tread width and the last number is rim diameter.
      So to work your example and convert to inches as follows:
      275mm or 10.8" tread width
      55% of 275 = 151.25 or 5.95"
      17" rim size so total wheel rim diameter = 5.95+17+5.95=28.9" try it and see.
      On the onther hand my standard tyres are 255/70/16 which equates to: 10" / 7" / 16" diameter 30" approx.
      Hope this clears up the confusion. To gain ground clearance you want the biggest diameter wheels that you can fit depending on lifts etc.