Can someone help me with my instrument cluster? (speedometer, rpms dont work) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can someone help me with my instrument cluster? (speedometer, rpms dont work)

Pandabearkevin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
i have a 2000 ford explorer and I just put an instrument cluster kit in to change my lights to blue instead of green and messed with the needles to determine things like where the gas is, speed, rmps, etc. All the needles among other things had to be removed but the needles were the most serious part. After a long day of working on it..I realized you need to take all the needles off when the cars off..then turn it onto accesory.. then place them on in the appropriate position they would be in on accesory.. then once they're all in you can turn the car off to see them drop and then raise back when you turn it on acc or all the way on..the only problem is the RPM needle and the speed needle do not move.. I reved the engine for RPMS and no movement..What could be the problem? Why wont these two needles move? I have a transmission problem..leak in a seal and im probably very low on fluid..could this have anything to do with it? I feel like it wouldnt because it doesnt move AT ALL...please help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Best Guess?
Check fuses.
Failing that, Its a connector, probably a ground missing? Check all wiring that you unpluged working on the instrument cluster.
I dont know what connector you need to look at though, sorry.

best guess you dropped the gauges off the counter weights. now too heavy, needs more speed/rpm before they move. if you took the needles off.

Best Guess?
Check fuses.
Failing that, Its a connector, probably a ground missing? Check all wiring that you unpluged working on the instrument cluster.
I dont know what connector you need to look at though, sorry.

Thanks.. ill check but I dont think its the fuses cause that was just to wire the film to turn blue..theres three conectors in the back that control it and i unplugged and replugged them to try that but nothing..thanks for the answer though!

best guess you dropped the gauges off the counter weights. now too heavy, needs more speed/rpm before they move. if you took the needles off.

Thanks alot! I guess ill wait and try that..let me know if you think of anyting else!

Back