can the 4X4 automatic transmission be replaced with a regular automatic transmission? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can the 4X4 automatic transmission be replaced with a regular automatic transmission?

iLoveMyExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT 4X4
I have a 1993 exploder with 4X4 automatic transmission. ive been reading that this transmission "can be problematic". now, I have a 1992 exploder with rear wheel drive. its a running parts truck with a perfectly good regular ole automatic transmission with overdrive.

this is what I want to know.... in the unfortunate event that the 4X4 transmission goes to crap, can I replace it with my parts truck transmission? will it work? it does not matter to me whether or not the 4 wheel drive is functional or not- since I do not go off road. but it would be nice to have it functional so it can retain its value as a 4X4.

p.s.: they both have the same size engine, 4.0 V6

thanks in advance for posting answers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't take this as 100% truth but I think the only differences between 4x4 and RWD on the trans are the tailshaft housing and the pan. Both can be swapped over from your 4x4 unit if it dies.

Don't take this as 100% truth but I think the only differences between 4x4 and RWD on the trans are the tailshaft housing and the pan. Both can be swapped over from your 4x4 unit if it dies.

Yes, the tail shaft housing has to be switched over so the transfer case can be hooked up. I feel like I read something somewhere about having to switch the pan, but i'm not totally sure.

I have a 1993 exploder with 4X4 automatic transmission. ive been reading that this transmission "can be problematic". now, I have a 1992 exploder with rear wheel drive. its a running parts truck with a perfectly good regular ole automatic transmission with overdrive.

But other than the tail shaft housing and possibly the pan, the two transmissions you have are identical.

The pan is definitely larger on the 4x4 models. There's a difference in filters too. The 4x4 filter has a pickup that sticks down further into the pan. If you use the 2wd filter with the 4x4 pan, you'll suck air eventually and it will feel like the trans is slipping.

I'm just not 100% sure on the tailshaft or what's required to swap it over.

The pan is definitely larger on the 4x4 models. There's a difference in filters too. The 4x4 filter has a pickup that sticks down further into the pan. If you use the 2wd filter with the 4x4 pan, you'll suck air eventually and it will feel like the trans is slipping.

I'm just not 100% sure on the tailshaft or what's required to swap it over.

Now that you say that, you've refreshed my memory, and you're totally right about the pan/filter/etc.

The tail shaft housing has to be swapped over in order for the transfer case to bolt up. I think that's the only thing really needed for the swap from RWD to 4x4. I think you could get away without really swapping anything else.

The output shaft is shorter on the 4x4 than the 2wd

The output shaft is shorter on the 4x4 than the 2wd

what does that mean? .... sorry guys... I may as well be a woman when it comes to car repairs. yall may have to dumb to down for me

thank you all so much!

thank you all for your answers! im so glad to know I still have a back up transmission in the event that I need it. this site is a blessing and all you guys on here that know your shxt are a godsend! :salute:

this 4X4 I just bought the other day is my 3rd exploder. the parts truck was the first one. my 2nd one was stolen. the parts truck still runs- but it got demoted when the brakes went out and I forgot to close the sunroof and it got rained in on a few times... the interior is like a science project.:( but all the mechanical parts on it are good/new... that's why its a lawn ornament now instead of sold for scrap

thanks again guys!... thanks to yall and this site- I have learned so much useful info about my truck... im confident I will be able to keep it on the road for years to come!:)

so... if the transmission on the 4X4 fails, then...in essence, I could take out the transmissions, swap out the tail shaft housing and the transfer case from the 4X4 trans over to the 2WD trans, and swap out the pans, install a new 4X4 filter into the regular trans.... and it would then be suitable to use in the 4X4? .... would it need a torque converter for a 4X4 also, or are those parts still identical between the two trucks?

secondary note-if the 4X4 transmission fails, would the tail shaft housing parts be failed too? would the 4X4 tail shaft bolt up properly to the trans from the 2WD truck, or would it need modification?... also- does the tail shaft carry transmission fluid? ....sorry yall- I don't know anything about transmissions... but I obviously want to learn :D

You could also fix the brakes on your "parts" truck, and then just swap your interior pieces to it in the event that something happens to your current daily driver. Everything (seats, console, carpeting, etc.) Will swap right over! If you're just wanting to swap the transmission, the easiest route (I think) would be to swap over the transmission and the driveshaft, and remove the front driveshaft, essentially making it a rwd. It would do in a pinch, anyway!

You could also fix the brakes on your "parts" truck, and then just swap your interior pieces to it in the event that something happens to your current daily driver. QUOTE]

yeah, but the parts truck body is all dented up and ugly as sin. and the interior is overwhelmed with mold and mildew- its even all inside the dashboard nd air vents. its like a science project in there. plus I took a lot of interior trim parts and minor things here and there off it to fix up the truck that got stolen..... this has been a parts truck for three years at least.

the 4X4 is clean as a whistle... looks like its just a few years old... only a few scratches. as far as I can tell it don't need a lot of work. the transmission in it still works, I was just wondering if the parts truck transmission would be compatible with the 4X4 in the event of complete failure

I'd wonder about the shaft in the 2wd vs 4x4 transmission. It should swap over but what's it take to swap?

Everything else will be fine. Swap tailshaft housing, swap pan & filter.

The biggest issue with these transmissions is lack of maintenance. Ford is notorious for putting ineffective filters in transmissions. The one in our Explorers is slightly smaller than window screen and it lets all kinds of goodies right through. I think there is a paper/felt one out there but I haven't seen it. Best thing that can be done is to put on an external filter. The easy way is to splice in a Magnefine. For something better, see my signature.

Other issues with these transmissions stem from abuse. Don't take off from a stop heavy on the gas. Tow in D, not OD. Use Low Range for heavy offroading. Basically, minimize the stress on the transmission. It's weak and the Explorer had the biggest engine and heaviest body that Ford ever paired with the A4LD trans. It gets a bad rap for that. When maintained and not abused, many of them last a long time.

i drive like a granny. and I don't plan to go off road... but like I was saying, I don't know the history of this truck. I have no clue how well it was maintained or if the transmission has EVER been serviced. I just got it a few days ago. the most ive driven it was maybe 100 miles, just to get it to the house. its not insured, inspected, or registered yet... so its wise to not drive it until then. as a matter of fact- it don't even have license plates on it yet.

but I plan on doing all this maintenance as soon as its possible. its got new oil in it, and the transmission fluid looks good, so ima let that slide for now and just change out the spark plugs and inspect them to make sure they aint all gunked up or burned.

but it does seem to run pretty well besides the piddling issues ive been talking about on here. :)

ps: I just read about your external transmission filter modification.... that is definitely going on the To Do list. seems like such a simple and affordable mod that just might save the transmission and keep it alive longer. and if it don't- at least it will be one extra thing to at least keep the tranny cooler and cleaner at the bare minimum. thanks for the tip!:salute:

If the trans fluid is clean, clear & pink and you throw the filter on and you drive normal... it'll probably outlive many of the other parts on the car.

It's when you pull the dipstick out and see particles/grime on the dipstick, the trans probably won't last long then :) That's how my 1994 parts car is.

It sounds like you have a good truck. Are you going to post some pictures anytime soon?

It sounds like you have a good truck. Are you going to post some pictures anytime soon?

yeah! id love to post pix and show it off... it damn near looks like a new car..... but I believe you have to ay money and become an "elite explorer" to post pix. I think I saw that somewhere on here. im broke. I just moved back to texas and I aint got a job yet. I borrowed money to buy this truck

yeah! id love to post pix and show it off... it damn near looks like a new car..... but I believe you have to ay money and become an "elite explorer" to post pix. I think I saw that somewhere on here. im broke. I just moved back to texas and I aint got a job yet. I borrowed money to buy this truck

That's just to attach (upload) images to this site. A problem I have with that is that they limit you to 800x600px so the resolution sucks. Uploading to a site like Imgur.com or Dropbox.com is free and better in my opinion.

i was going to upload the pix to facebook.... could I just post the link to the FB photo album here?... or would this site block the link automatically?

I really hate joining new sites... I joined this one out of necessity. and by far its the best non-social media site ive ever stumbled upon. when my finances are up to par- I plan to pay the $20 a year for this site. :DI haven't even touched the truck yet and just for the knowledge I have learned alone- that's worth the $20 already. saved me a lot of time researching useless pages and being directed to sales sites.

You should be able to make an album and link to it. This site won't block it. The only caveat would be you'd have to make the album public.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I realize this is off topic, but to save some time and frustration I suggest that you read the posts on changing the right rear spark plug before you start that job.

Back