Can the backup camera cover be replaced? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can the backup camera cover be replaced?

Dylan2955

Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hi all,

The plastic bit covering my backup camera has gotten cloudy and can't be cleaned anymore, which is resulting in a not as vibrant backup video.

Is this a piece that can be replaced, if so does anyone know the part number?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Peter,

It's the outside of the lens, it's not quite scratched but has almost a cloud of dirt that won't come off.

Well I'm not positive but I think the lens is part of the camera and likely can't be replaced on its own. Not sure what would cause that. Every time I walk behind mine I just wet a finger tip and wipe the lens if it's dirty.

Peter

Well I'm not positive but I think the lens is part of the camera and likely can't be replaced on its own. Not sure what would cause that. Every time I walk behind mine I just wet a finger tip and wipe the lens if it's dirty.

Peter

Yeah, it appeared that way to me as well..

Here are the best photos I could grab of the issue.

20180206_092636.jpg
20180206_092642.jpg

Maybe I'll try a cleaner that is a little stronger.

A stronger cleaner may actually make the clouding problem worse. I have polished acrylic before with cutting compound and/or 2000 grit wet-or-dry. It may not work in that small of a recess (and assuming the lens cover is acrylic) but I would certainly try it before purchasing a new unit.

A stronger cleaner may actually make the clouding problem worse. I have polished acrylic before with cutting compound and/or 2000 grit wet-or-dry. It may not work in that small of a recess (and assuming the lens cover is acrylic) but I would certainly try it before purchasing a new unit.

I have a similar post about my front camera (2017 LTD).. I have little rocks pits in the lens so I removed the camera and tried to wet sand the lens but it didn't really do much so I think it's glass.

I couldn't figure out how to remove just the lens cover and the "oem" replacement I got on eBay didn't have the split screen feature so I returned it .

Dylan I have a spare camera if interested. I would sell it to you for what I have in it. I got it reasonably cheap. PM me if interested.

I know this is an old thread but did anyone ever find out for sure? Its not the lense that is giving me issue but the little plastic cover that protects it. Mine is scratched and eroded on the inside. Trying to find out if i can replace just that cover or have the replace the whole camera.

The lens cover is one piece with the camera. I've had to replace my camera on my previous 5th gen and it isnt separate pieces.

Dylan2955:
You might give this a try. I have successfully taken minor scratches out of lenses with toothpaste. Place a pea sized blob on the area and try rubbing it in a circular motion. The lens is already messed up so you have nothing to lose.

If it's really plastic then try a polishing product on a cotton swab (in a drill or other rotary power tool if you're the impatient type), for example Brasso will get polycarbonate or acrylic to a barely hazy finish but might be where to start, then a fine plastic polish (or toothpaste), then finish with a "polish" type automotive wax.

If glass, you web search the various online instructions for compounds and decide if they're cost effective to try. I polish plastic things all the time but never invested in glass polishing... maybe I should have, over the years I've had some watches that could've used it.

If it is glass and has a haze on the outside rather than deeper chips, the above method for plastic may still work on it, if it's just environmental grime buildup.

Back