Can you drive without the fan clutch installed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you drive without the fan clutch installed?

Toast20622

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte Hall, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 LTD
98 explorer AWD 5.0L- I removed my fan clutch because of noise and fan blades being loose. The new fan clutch won't be in for 2-3 days, is it OK to drive without the fan clutch installed? I'm in Maryland and the temps won't be above 35 for the next couple of days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you using any other fan in there ?

if no fan you will overheat,

No other fan installed. After I removed the fan clutch I put everything back together and started it up and it runs fine (no vibrations, etc). I made a run to Autozone to order the fan clutch and temp leveled out in mid range, where temp it usually goes. And very cold outside. I'm just wondering if driving without the fan clutch (2-3 days) would have a long term effect. It doesn't seem to cause increase in eng temp probably do to the very cold weather. I don't think I'd try it if weather was hotter.

It depends....if it were in the teens I wouldn't hesitate to drive highway without it....In the 30's the fan still kicks on to keep the engine cool.

watch the temp gauge

If your temperature gauge is functional then just watch it to make sure the engine doesn't get hot. On short trips in cold weather it takes a while before the thermostat opens to circulate coolant thru the radiator. If water isn't circulating thru the radiator then the cooling fan doesn't make much difference.

You will be fine, I had Trailblazer SS that I drove for 2 weeks with no fan while I waited for a tune update in the wintertime.

Generally, in cold weather as you describe, normal motion of the vehicle will be sufficient to maintain coolant temp. below boiling, if no heavy, high-speed work is involved, or no prolonged (more than a minute or two) of idling with vehicle motionless. imp

Back