Can you get a second key for less than $110? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you get a second key for less than $110?

4ZZS

Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4WD
I just bought my 2000 Explorer and the used car dealer said they only had one key. Since they are chip keys, it looks like I have to go to a Ford dealer to get a second key.

They said $40 for the key and $65 to program it.:eek:

Is there anyway or anyplace to get a programmed key for less?

Thanks.

Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you should have said ill only buy it if it comes with two keys..... i dunno maybe go ask the dealer and see how much it really costs to do it

i have never heard that they were chip keys??and the remotes and keypad are easy to reprogram..

They are all transponder keys. I think that quote is a bit high, you could find somebody to do it for closer to $80, still not cheap though. Alternatively, you could have blanks cut and keep the working transponder key in the car, or something of a similar nature.

I bought my keys form Ebay for super cheap. All I need now is programming. The dealer said $90 per key for programming, but other places do it too.

What kind of places can program the keys?
Ford dealers obviously make it sound like they are the only place.

The remote key fob isn't a problem. I have an extra one of those and I think that is easily programmed.

The transponder key is the issue.

I only had one key and went to ford and had them make a second for $45 bucks:rolleyes:

yeah, if you have 2 keys, you can program a third with your truck. but only having one requires a dealer to code a second. yeah, it sux. i only have one key, and i know someday i'll lose it and end up having to pay much more for a locksmith.

2nd key

It may sound counter intuitive but the process is to erase all keys. Then it can learn new ones. It must have 2, and one can be one of the originals. I have the same issue, takes probably less then 5 minutes with the Next Gen Star Tester. I only have one for my 85 B2 with 99 Engine and PATS. So if you can ask them simply to erase all keys it will then not start until you provide it 2 keys to learn.

hey n0xdw, do you have more details on this process? so you have a dealer erase all keys and then provide 2 new keys for it to "learn" (old original and a fresh key)? hmm, a dealer may not like me "finishing the job" in their shop for free. of course, dealers around here are less than helpful.

What kind of places can program the keys?
Ford dealers obviously make it sound like they are the only place.

The remote key fob isn't a problem. I have an extra one of those and I think that is easily programmed.

The transponder key is the issue.

A quality locksmith shop should be able to do it for you.

A quality locksmith shop should be able to do it for you.

i dont think that they can program the keys thought.....i know on my truck it cost like 4 bucks for another key i just went to true value and madea copy...but i dont have pats.

i dont think that they can program the keys thought.....i know on my truck it cost like 4 bucks for another key i just went to true value and madea copy...but i dont have pats.

Quality locksmith shops can program a Ford PATS key; been there, done that.

With Pats keys, if you already have 2, you program the 3rd yourself..

If you only have 1 programmed already, you either go to the dealer and pay out the nose, or go to a quality locksmith and they can do it for you (still not "cheap", but much less than the dealer)..

For this reason, we have 3 sets of keys and 3 fobs.. If we loose a set, I can pick up a set on ebay (last key+fob cost me < $15), get the key cut and program them myself.

~Mark

Purchased mine with only one. $8 for a new key from Ebay and $30 to program at the dealer.

Bought a third as well just in case. Need to pick up a few fobs though.

Extra key

Hi,
I had a the same problem for my 98. Bought a Ford replacement key blank off Ebay for $15, haven't had time to get it cut/programmed yet. Ever little bit helps..;)

David

Update to answer. If you have the correct scan tool it can also simply add a key. It took 10 minutes to access the PATS system. (Security time out) and then added a second key. I then programmed the additional keys using the first two that worked. I purchased 2 pairs of transponder keys on E-Bay and all 4 now work. I should mention i had sent a request in to have the PATS tests added to the scan tool i use. (AutoEnginuity PC scan tool interface with Ford and GM enhanced options) So if you may have been considering a scan tool to work with the Puter give them a shot...

I just went to Home Depot. It was the cheapest around me. If you buy the transponder key from them they program it for free. Cost me $55...

Wal-Mart makes transponder keys for, I think I paid $35.99. But they can only make up to model year 2006 or '07. It's worth a try! And thats for the key AND programming it too!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I paid $60 at WalMart here - programmed and ready to go.

Back