Can't Get Rid of Engine Ping/Knock | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't Get Rid of Engine Ping/Knock

Will do. I'm hoping for the best, as it's advertised to be good up to 500 degrees. But at $5 a roll, I won't mind redoing it every so often if it doesn't last.
Where did you end up purchasing the tape? Amazon?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found it at Home Depot! I think it was 3.95 so I had nothing to lose by trying it. Went on like bicycle handlebar tape.

I think if you're losing coolant and don't see any puddles, head gasket could be the culprit. I dealt with that anyway. Are you losing oil or have to top it off well before 2k miles? Piston rings could be letting oil up into the combustion chamber allowing an additional propellant in to burn; also creating carbon deposits. That would definitely make it a lot hotter down there. Maybe put on a backwards facing cowl on the hood to keep hot air sitting at the top of the engine flowing would drop under hood temps.
I have been loosing coolant and oil
I think if you're losing coolant and don't see any puddles, head gasket could be the culprit. I dealt with that anyway. Are you losing oil or have to top it off well before 2k miles? Piston rings could be letting oil up into the combustion chamber allowing an additional propellant in to burn; also creating carbon deposits. That would definitely make it a lot hotter down there. Maybe put on a backwards facing cowl on the hood to keep hot air sitting at the top of the engine flowing would drop under hood temps.
I have been loosing coolant and oil. Thermostat housing was fairly corroded, so I replaced it yesterday along with the thermostat and upper radiator hose. If this doesn't fix the coolant issue, at least I can rule it out. I am loosing oil around the front main seal. I'm not blowing any smoke, and when I recently replaced the spark plugs, none were oil fouled, so I'm hopeful that the rings are holding.

I ran another KOEO test and pulled a couple of EGR codes. I replaced the EGR sensor and the knock/ping immediately vanished. It's been several days and still no knock, so I'm hopeful. It's funny, but I replaced the EGR sensor less than six months ago, so I didn't think it could possibly be the issue. Fortunately the part has a lifetime warranty through O'Riley's, so they gave me a replacement. I'm running top tier fuel now, and hopefully with the intake tube fixed and EGR sensor replaced, the issue is resolved. I am going to try mid-grade fuel in my next tank, and see if the engine can handle the lower octane.

Try tr6 plugs...

Back