• Register Today It's free!

Can't shift to Park???

RIKK03

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited 4X2
I just noticed that I can't shift to Park when I shut the engine off while still in Drive. Is this normal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you still have to press in the brake

Killing the switch kills the power to the brake-shift interlock, so that kind of makes sense that with the key off, you may not be able to shift it into park.....

But the more important question here is why the heck you would find a need to turn the engine off, THEN put it into park?

-Joe

I've noticed on mine ('02 XLT), that when I get ready to park the gear shift lever will not go straight from "D" to "P" (yes, the brake is depressed). I have to shift from "D" to "R", then pull down a bit (going towards the "N" position), and THEN go all the way to "P" (in an "up-down-up" motion). I thought this was probably just some new Ford thing that they've instituted since I bought my TBird back in '95. It'd really be nice to shift directly into park, though!

jamo, you need a new brake shift interlock switch, there are problems with the timing on some of them and they came out with a revised part.

Xzibit A said:
jamo, you need a new brake shift interlock switch, there are problems with the timing on some of them and they came out with a revised part.

Thanks. That's good to know!

Wonder what that'd set me back at the dealer? :banghead:

Jamo said:
Thanks. That's good to know!

Wonder what that'd set me back at the dealer? :banghead:

If I was going to guess, I'd guess a half hour to diagnose it, and a half hour to an hour to change it, plus the cost of the part. I'd probably guess $150-$200.

-Joe

gijoecam said:
If I was going to guess, I'd guess a half hour to diagnose it, and a half hour to an hour to change it, plus the cost of the part. I'd probably guess $150-$200.

-Joe

That's not too bad...

I read on another forum that people were bringing in their Explorers and having this problem fixed for free under a recall. On some vehicles, it lets you put it in Park, but then will slip out into Reverse, causing injury or damage to anything behind the truck. As such, people were saying it was a recall due to safety concerns?

gijoecam said:
Killing the switch kills the power to the brake-shift interlock, so that kind of makes sense that with the key off, you may not be able to shift it into park.....

But the more important question here is why the heck you would find a need to turn the engine off, THEN put it into park?

-Joe

It just happened that I forgot to shift it to Park before I turned the engine off. Thanks for all the info.

actuallty id be an hour diag and 1.7 to replace, so almoast 300 in labor plus the part, at the dealership that i worked at $97 labor rate

So where exactly is this switch thingy located ?
Inside the tranny or buried in the dash or steering column ?
Our '02 with 126K has the same trouble.

Back