Can't start 96 Explorer - Only key fob broken | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't start 96 Explorer - Only key fob broken

maremeat

Reaction score
My old man had only one key fob (single button) for his 96 Ford Explorer, which is broken beyond repair. I'm not sure of the exact model of key fob however worn letters on back appear to read APT 1340 model RA.

Got two similar looking fobs online but were been unable to do anything with them using any of the programming methods we found. Also, local Ford Dealer tried without success (they cut out a panel in the rear cabin to obtain a code which I believe they attempted to program using a method emailed to them by Ford USA). Not sure they knew what they were doing.

We have now been unable to start the Explorer for a couple of months. Any suggestions to get it back on the road? Can it be salvaged/bypassed, or is after market replacement required?

Thanks
B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It might be possible to buy a secondhand computer and fobs. I don't think it's all that expensive. I talked to Chrisquelch who frequents this forum about it last year. He strips Explorers for parts.

Hi,

It's quite straight forward to bypass the immobiliser but I'm not surprised ford can't do it!

It is NOT however a case of just swapping the immobiliser unit and key fob although this will get your locking working and partway there.

Where are you located? You should find the instructions elsewhere on the forum and somebody local may be willing to lend a hand if needed.

SS

Thanks.

Located in the central belt in Scotland, between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I take it as we no longer have a working remote, the existing immobiliser needs to be replaced or bypassed/removed?

B

Hi,

The immobiliser works three ways; starter motor, fuel pump and ignition (edis).

The starter and edis circuits can be bypassed at the immobiliser unit behind the passenger side load area panel. The fuel pump immobiliser is located on the pump itself so will need to be bypassed at the tank.

SS

Thanks SS

I have a good working single button system but only one key pad and key. I am paranoid about breaking it or loosing it so.

Based on what you have put here I'm going to identify the various wires on the systems and test my work around. My idea is to have in the car (or my wifes handbag) everything I need to bypass it if Mr ****up was ever to visit.

Keys are easy to get

If anybody is interested I will post my findings..

Jim

Thanks SS

If anybody is interested I will post my findings..

Jim

Me being the paranoid type i would suggest not posting how to bypass on open forum, just pm maybe

yes sorry, I'm far too trusting :)

Me being the paranoid type i would suggest not posting how to bypass on open forum, just pm maybe

Hi,

Fair comment but this crops on on other forums and normally for the age of the vehicle concerned which is now 14 years for most of us it is not considered a real issue. It is only 97 models that use the immobiliser in question as the 98 on use PATS.

An example is the early Discoveries which suffered from immobiliser faults which resulted in a genuine Land Rover bypass plug which totally removed the immobiliser!

That said, if a moderator would prefer the info not to be posted then I have no problem with that.

SS

Thanks.

Not really handy ourselves so is this something that would be straightforward for auto-electrician to do?

Will need to get someone to come to us cause the car can't move!

B

Sorry to bump this but would really appreciate more detailed instructions on how to bypass the immobiliser as described above (so that I can pass on to someone who knows what they are doing and get this thing moving).

Maybe SS (or anyone else who knows) could PM me?

Thanks
B

I have the bypass figured for both the starter and fuel pump circuits but cannot currently find the link to the ignition circuit (according to my diagrams there is not one that I can see)

maybe SS can elaborate on where the link is to the Igtition system from the immobiliser?

I have the bypass figured for both the starter and fuel pump circuits but cannot currently find the link to the ignition circuit (according to my diagrams there is not one that I can see)

maybe SS can elaborate on where the link is to the Igtition system from the immobiliser?

Hi,

Are you refering to diagrams or have you had a look at the immobiliser itself? Reason is that immobiliser has two connectors. Ours (1997) have a 16 and 20 pin connector. Others have a 22 and 26 pin connector. If working from diagrams make sure you have the right set.

Are you bypassing the starter at the immobiliser or elsewhere? I did mine at the immobiliser as I was in there anyway buy can be done elsewhere. As discussed before the fuel bypass must be done at the pump in the tank.

Looking into the smaller connector with the clip uppermost it is numbered as follows:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Join wires 4 & 5 to bypass igniton circuit. Again this could probably be done at the PCM but I found it easier to do it all together.

SS

SS

Stenasev, would be very grateful if you could post (or pm me) the instructions for bypassing the immobiliser at the three separate points (starter motor, fuel pump, ignition). Tried to search previous posts but not had much joy.

Also, is bypassing the immobiliser a big job for someone who knows what they are doing?

B

if u have the owners manual it tells u in there how to programe a new key

96 and 97 cars have the single button system which cannot be programed by the user in the same way as a later 2 button system

would be very grateful if you could post (or pm me) the instructions for bypassing the immobiliser at the three separate points (starter motor, fuel pump, ignition). Tried to search previous posts but not had much joy.

Also, is bypassing the immobiliser a big job for someone who knows what they are doing?
thanks

Sorry to dig this one up, I have exactly the same problem with a 1996 Explorer, I have managed to get a s\hand 1 button fob can not program it, did you guys sort the problem out with yours and if so how

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm in the same boat.
I have a single button remote which has stopped working.
Luckily I have a spare but am worried about that one breaking too.
Can anyone advise how to by-pass the immobiliser as above?.
Thanks,

Angus

Back