capless fuel system | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

capless fuel system

Stop for gas in Jersey sometime... Every station has at least one. You're not allowed to pump your own gas. :scratch:
I guess it helps the state's 'employment' figures.;)

Our small town had a so called 'no name' full service station and garage up until this past Fall. It was bought out and now we have a self serve and a small convenience store instead. This put quite a few students, who had part time jobs, out of work.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll google in a minute but is the thing that used to be on mine the stone age version of this? I take of my fuel cap and there used to be a little steel door behind the hole but it got broke off when I stuck a one gallon gas can funnel in there.
And as for gas nozzles, i have yet to run into a non trigger one, i always squeegee my windows while i fill up.

Yah i dont know where you guys are from but every gas pump i have ever seen in wisconsin and michigan has had a trigger lock, i usually always wander around when filling up.

We still have the trigger locks in California as well

I guess it helps the state's 'employment' figures.;)

Our small town had a so called 'no name' full service station and garage up until this past Fall. It was bought out and now we have a self serve and a small convenience store instead. This put quite a few students, who had part time jobs, out of work.

Peter

Yea, Jersey is always crazy to travel through and get gas. I guess it employs people, but geez. I remember when I was a kid and full service was everywhere it was pretty cool for my mom to not have to get me out of the car and hump it inside to pay for the gas and pump the gas, etc.

Now it just seems silly that the attendant's order of operations is:

- Take credit card
- Walk to pump, swipe card, select grade (make sure to act like your launching a rocket from mission control)
- Put pump handle in car and select grade. Squeeze trigger and put lock on handle (walk to a bunch of other cars so when your car is full you are stuck there because you can't hang the handle back up and ruin their right to work and they are nowhere to be found)
- Walk back to window, give card back
- Hang up pump, wait for receipt, give you receipt.
- If you don't have a capless tank, put on gas cap (crank down the gas cap like you are screwing the lid on a nuclear waste barrel. Don't they understand after the first click you are not tightening it anymore?)

It is especially weird when your getting out of the car anyway to rummage through the back, use the bathroom, get a soda and are standing there right next to they guy.

It is especially weird when you
r getting out of the car anyway to rummage through the back, use the bathroom, get a soda and are standing there right next to they guy.

I've never had them help me with that hose?!?! :D

... That being said, anyone who really wants your fuel, with a locking door or not, is going to get it. A big screwdriver is their friend.

Ahhh, the big Screwdriver, the key... That's how my best friend started his 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Wagon when we were in high school. It was a pain though. He couldn't shut it all the way off, otherwise it was a b**** to get the ignition unlocked again. You can imagine what the parking attendant at a valet parking service in San Francisco thought when we pulled up in the wagon, said "here y'go" and handed him the "key".

Those were good times.

Yah i dont know where you guys are from but every gas pump i have ever seen in wisconsin and michigan has had a trigger lock, i usually always wander around when filling up.

It's a state law thing. No trigger locks in Massachusetts. I believe the rationale is to prevent you from getting back into your car and building up static electricity and returning to the nozzle...... I always liked to wedge my gas cap in there too.

Stop for gas in Jersey sometime... Every station has at least one. You're not allowed to pump your own gas. :scratch:

Oregon too.

Ahhh, the big Screwdriver, the key... That's how my best friend started his 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Wagon when we were in high school. It was a pain though. He couldn't shut it all the way off, otherwise it was a b**** to get the ignition unlocked again. You can imagine what the parking attendant at a valet parking service in San Francisco thought when we pulled up in the wagon, said "here y'go" and handed him the "key".

Those were good times.
I had a 1968 Olds Vista Cruiser wagon. Traded my '64 Cadillac Sedan de Ville for it. This was in the early '70's. In those times the only capless fuel system was on the vehicles where the owners took off leaving the cap sitting on top of the service station pump. :D

Peter

Whenever I travel in the US I love the trigger locks on the fuel pump nozzles. Peter is right if you try to lock them in Canada with some external item the people working the registers go nuts on you. They really take that stuff personal. I also see them rag out on people for leaving vehicles running when fueling, as some people try to do that in winter months. Gas station attendants are a bit over-bearing in this country if you ask me.

I have a 2008 Ford Explorer with the No Cap Fuel System. While returning to CO from AZ this weekend, I went to fill up the gas tank and the tank would not open when using the gas nozzle. After a couple of jabs with the gas nozzle it opened up and I was able to fill it, thankfully, and get home. I looked in the owner's manual for some kind of emergency release for when the seal is stuck, but there is nothing in there. Anyone else had that problem? I don't know whether it will work properly the next time I need gas. Allegedly Ford has not had any problems with these systems.

Check the end of the fuel nozzle. If the cap is not on the end cap is not in place, it won't go in. I have come across a few gas pumps where the nozzle was missing it.

gas_pump.jpg

Dr Plastic, are you referring to that darker gray piece, approx. an inch or 2 long that seems to cover the end of the nozzle? If so, I don't recall seeing that on any of the pumps here.

Peter

Peter

Yes, This is a better picture.

zva25.jpg

The cap on the very end is held in place with a set of crimped indentations. I have found three pumps here in town were that end cap had came off and the nozzle refused to open the flap.

Thanks. I'll have to pay closer attention next time I fill up and check it out. Right now I think you better take that nozzle back before they miss it. :D

Peter

Thanks for the tip about the fuel pump nozzle. I was not aware of that component and how it might affect opening up the tank. I filled up today at another station and there was no issue.

Back