Car accelerates without pressing gas pedal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Car accelerates without pressing gas pedal

yabismal13

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey All,

Some punks threw bags of food over the hoods and windshields of a few cars in our neighborhood. A few of the cars affected (including one of ours) now slowly accelerates when we lift our foot off of the brake pedal. Sometimes the car idles a little bit higher on the freeway, as if the overdrive had been turned off. I've given the car a good wash, but don't know what else to do. Maybe some of the wires have been affected?

My girlfriend has been pretty terrified of driving the car now. Any recommendations before I get it checked out at the dealership? I'd have to put it on credit cards, so I'm trying not to go that way.

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong thread. Not sure where to put it.

Thanks for help in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If more than your car are 'actually' being affected by this then it wasn't caused by throwing food on your hood. I have no idea how that would cause it even if it freakishly dripped in the exact perfect spots where it would actually get under the hood (i'm assuming rain never caused this problem for you). Logically they must have done something else, perhaps they put something in your gas tanks.

burn the tank as low or possible or drain the tank. refill with fresh fuel and see if that happens still

Sell your toyota and buy something else!

Sell your toyota and buy something else!
:D Ouch!
The truth is that almost all the new cars have "electric" gas pedal. So the computer decides how fast your engine goes. The right foot just tells the computer what you "would like" to happen...

This is all in the name of better "fuel economy".

Not sure what was wrong, but it took about two weeks for things to get back to normal. Fueled up twice since then, so it may have been the gas, or just coincidental.

Not sure what was wrong, but it took about two weeks for things to get back to normal. Fueled up twice since then, so it may have been the gas, or just coincidental.
I really doubt it was a coincidence that all your neighbors also had the same exact problem.

Back