• Register Today It's free!

Car Seat search finalized

sxepride

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Since we purchased or new 16 explorer sport with rear bench seat, we were in search of a car seat that took up less room for are 9 month old "rear facing". As most people are aware, when you place your kiddo in the rear facing position in a car seat you tend to lose a very large amount of room (front to back) and finding the driver or passenger seat pushed up to far. Their are two major flaws with the explorer and a car seats as listed below IMO.

1. Inflatable is seatbelts.

This is rather new technology and most ford dealerships and baby centers are unaware that only two car seat companies (britax and chicco) approve the use of inflatable seatbelts on car seats. Yes I understand you can use the latch system but this also has its limits as children age. I hope ford or the manf. come to some agreement with this or a voluntary recall to replace with standard belts will come.

2. Center placement of car seat (bench seat).

When you place the car seat in the center (most safest method to some) the base on the car seat will cover right side seat belt buckle and will not allow a passenger seating behind the driver to buckle their seatbelt.

Our solution:

After alot of research we test fitted a Cleck (foonf) and the Diono radian RXT (with foam pad) which by some are the most compact for rear facing children.

Clek Foonf review: This is by far the most expensive seat but does have alot of features. This car seat is also on the larger side (wife says its huge). It did however allow us to gain more room (front to back) then our current Recaro performance coupe. In the end it did not gain as much room as the Diono.

Diono radian RXT review: This car seat gave us about another 2 inches of clearance when used in conjunction with the Diono foam "angle adjuster" which is an add on vs the clek. My wife is 5'-7" and had about 1-1/2" more she could recline or move the seat back (driver side) from her standard position. When placed behind the passenger I was equally as comfortable as I am 5'-10". This car seat is also narrow and has alot of neat features. Since we travel alot this seat is also FAA certified and can be used on planes while it also folds.

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have as I am glad our car seat search is now over.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so we had our car seat already before we bought the explorer, and used it as the metric of which to test various vehicles before buying.

yes I know I know, but you can just buy another chair. true but I could just have easily bought a different car. ALMOST did.

in the end our CHico keyfit 30 took up more room than our now bigger chico Nextfit convertible. 2 things we noticed - one the seats in the 2016 model have more room front to back and the LATCH fitting is easier to get to in the 3rd row on the ford exploerer. ODD but it was, oh and the second row seats fold over easier.

SO in a 2016 model, bench or bucket, with the Keyfit (the carrier and base model) there was room for the wifey to ride in the front pax seat while I drove, and still just barely clear the child seat. With the Nextfit there's something like another 2 inches of room.

Also in a GMC acadia, or Buick Enclave, Nissan Pathfinder, and dodge durango - there is more overall legroom. (the durango isn't a fair comparison though). ALMOST bought an Enclave.

We are expecting and I just installed our Uppababy Mesa car seat in the rear passenger bucket seat and barely had to move the front passenger seat forward. I used the hooks in the seat to attach....

OH I forgot the other bit.

moving the seat up, as in vertically grows the clearance quite a bit.

Hi, im looking into the radian bc I have a 2yr old and a 2 month old but need access to third row. Do you think with radian on drivers side and infant carseat(graco snugride or chicco keyfit30) in middle with seat belt,( no latch hooks in middle) I would have room for seat to flip? I need my oldest to be able to get in and out for school. I need help lol

Or do you know if 2 radians fit in drivers and middle to clear passenger seat to flip? Maybe I need to buy 2.......
I don't feel comfortable with my 2yr old in 3rd row by himself that's why I'm trying to gain access instead of just moving him.

Hi. We have a 2015 Explorer Sport. Love it!

Just called a local dealership about (1) disabling the inflatable airbag back seatbelts or (2) swapping them out for regular seatbelts; they didn't seem to think either was possible/advisable. Anyone else have experience with this?

Up till now, we've been happy with Nuna Pipa's car seats, but apparently kids graduate to bigger seats. Ugh. The latches only work will 40lbs or so, before you have to start using the seatbelts.

Sadly, only three manufactures are 'approved' with the airbag seatbelts? Clek, Britax, & Diano can be used. (more great info at You are being redirected...)

I appreciate sxspride's thoughts. Have you been happy with your decision? Any updates?

My wife & I sit pretty far back as we are both 6ft 1in tall. As you said the Clek is giant!

We use the Graco 4 in one. Once they hit 35lbs, we moved them to the front facing using the inflatable.

50198682_Alt04.jpeg

Back