Car trying to die surging when gas is pushed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Car trying to die surging when gas is pushed

StricklandUSN

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT V6 FLEX
I had a fuel rail high input code a few months back after that the car has died at a light or while coasting slowly about once a month this happens. I'm assuming the pump is going but is there any other things I should check
I pulled in drive way yesterday and it started to die when I placed it in park I stepped on the gas while in park and the Rpms would go up and down almost to dieing point surging so to speak the minute I let off the gas it would go Down to idle and die it started right back up and seemed fine this happens about once a month and seems to be fine once car is restarted my check engine light that the fuel rail pressure is for somtimes clears it self for about a day then comes back. Is this just somthing wrong with fuel pump that resets when I restart? Feedback greatly appreciated thanks

This is 04 XLT v6 flex with 3rd row seat and rear a/c

I would check the valve on the fuel rail to see what pressure the pump is pushing to it,on my mustang i thought it was the pump also,but i used a tire gauge,on the nipple to see what the pressure was with the key on,and also started,turned out for me was a weak coil was blowing the spark out under compression stroke because it was so weak..had a msd on it after buying it 3 months ago bought a 17.00 coil and it started right up,pull a plug and see what color the spark is,if its orange its weak,blue/white is what you want.Hope this helps and good luck!

simple stuff:
change the fuel filter.
clean the MAS
changing spark plugs
changing plug wires
get fault codes checked to verify status of other fuel management sensors

Back