1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Car turns over won't start

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by jeff96, December 13, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jeff96

jeff96 Active Member

City, State:
      Fayetteville, NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      03 Ninja 636, 96 Ex Sport
      Hey guys bought a 92 civic beater for 200 bucks. The car tries to turn over but just does'nt start. How can i tell whats wrong with it. Previous owner said he thinks its the fuel pump. Asked at a honda forum but the guys there seem clueless keep telling me to go get some after market fuel pump that cost more than i paid for the car becuase i'll need it to make the car faster. Just looking to get it running. Thanks guys.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. fordmanSLO

fordmanSLO New Member

City, State:
      Davis, CA
      92 XLT 4x4
      What, if anything, have you checked out on it? Is there fuel, is there spark at the spark plug. 90's hondas are known for their ignition coils overheating and melting, usually something that happens out of the blue. I would check that, since its common and easy. The ignition coil is under the distributor cap, so just unscrew that and make sure nothings melted together. Give me some more specifics and I may be able to help you out.

4. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      verify spark.. if there is spark shoot some starting fluid down the intake... if it starts and runs... then its fuel related

5. jeff96

jeff96 Active Member

City, State:
      Fayetteville, NC
      ok i sprayed starting fluid up the intake did'nt start, loosened the bolt above the fuel filter in the engine and tried starting it gas started coming out of it. So i take it that the fuel pump works? How do i verify spark?

6. jeff96

jeff96 Active Member

City, State:
      Fayetteville, NC
      pulled out a spark plug and all kinds of suprises. First off got oil on the part that screws in, searched and that means the valve cover is gone, no biggie at this point as its not on the actual part of the spark plug. Also no spark. Where do i go from there?

7. fordmanSLO

fordmanSLO New Member

City, State:
      Davis, CA
      92 XLT 4x4
      I would definitely check the ignition coil to make sure it hasn't melted. Also, to actually 'test' the coil, all you need is a ohmmeter, to check the resistance between the primary and secondary circuits. I don't have the specs, but you can look them up in a shop manual, or maybe do some searching on the internet. Like I said, THE most prone to fail ignition item on those hondas

8. jdub07

jdub07 Member

City, State:
      California
      2000 5.0 Mountaineer
      Could just be your main relay. My 92 accord stopped staring...turned out to be the main relay. It was a dealer part that cost me $65 but it fixed it.

9. jeff96

jeff96 Active Member

City, State:
      Fayetteville, NC
      pulled out the main relay and looped the ignition and fuel pump wires, no worky, so main relay is good. This weekend i am going to check the ignition system, gets dark to early for me to do anything by time i get off work and hate working by droplight. I'll keep you guys updated on it, thanks.

10. jdub07

jdub07 Member

City, State:
      California
      2000 5.0 Mountaineer
      Have you checked for spark like jim suggested? Easy way to do it is with a screw driver in the end of spark wire. Make sure the handle isn't metal or ZAP!

Off subject,....Jimabena where was the photo of your truck taken? Looks like some place in Niles or even the south end of Vargus Rd? Is your last name Abena? Any relation to Steve and Richard Abena?