Car Will Not Start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Car Will Not Start

I'm excited to see the outcome of this one, but I'm still highly suspicious of the starter test that AZ performed. Anyone know much about it? Is it reliable?

Not that a bad starter is unheard of, but it is rare on this generation of Explorer, and every symptom OP had pointed to a battery concern.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I hook up my charger, I never hook the negative to the negative terminal but to a body ground. That seems to be the most recommended procedure and it is part of the instructions that came with the charger. The same holds true when jump starting a car with a dead battery. The negative cable should be connected to a body ground on the vehicle with the dead battery.

Peter

Your are right. Will keep that in mind when using the charger again. Thanks!

@thefranchise713 ... I am concerned too! In the end, I will be bringing it to Ford Service to get their opinion and present data I have collected. The AZ tester model #ESD-2010 looks to be an old version/license-deal from this company called AutoMeter. See current product listings @ Handheld Testers - professional grade battery and electrical system testing.

If you have ESP then it will be covered minus deductible. Otherwise out of pocket. Motorcraft starter is $247.00 on Rockauto.

Brought the car into Ford Service today. They ran a diagnostic and found a short in the battery. AZ should get a more accurate battery tester!

Thanks for all the comments and help guys. Learned a lot. Solved.

I had a 2005 f150 that had a battery fail at around 1 year old. Seems odd that it would take a year for it to fail. They sent a tow truck to pick it up from my garage and called me after they tested everything and replaced the battery. Service seemed a lot better back then compared to my recent dealings.

Warranty or out of pocket?
Glad you're back on the road.

We had to replace our battery after two years a few months ago. Last night my wife slowed down for some deer shortly after taking off. She said her explorer would not accelerate after she slowed. She shut down the engine and then it wouldn’t restart. When I got there I could smell a hot electrical smell every time she tried to start the engine. Lights, radio, etc... all worked but it would not turn over.

Had to have it towed to the dealer to find out more.

We had to replace our battery after two years a few months ago. Last night my wife slowed down for some deer shortly after taking off. She said her explorer would not accelerate after she slowed. She shut down the engine and then it wouldn’t restart. When I got there I could smell a hot electrical smell every time she tried to start the engine. Lights, radio, etc... all worked but it would not turn over.

Had to have it towed to the dealer to find out more.
I wonder if it could be the alternator? Please update when the issue is known. Thanks.

Peter

Sounds more like an accessory is locking up. Pull the belt off and see if it starts normal.

I’ll let you guys know. I also thought about was something locked up as well.

Does it attempt to crank at all?
I can hear a solenoid click but it won’t turn over. I think the electrical smell coincides with when I try to crank. I couldn’t feel any hot wires from the batter, alternator or starter though.

I can hear a solenoid click but it won’t turn over. I think the electrical smell coincides with when I try to crank. I couldn’t feel any hot wires from the batter, alternator or starter though.
The dealer hasn't done a diagnosis on it yet, but the service writer went to move the Explorer to a different location and he said it started up hard, but when he placed it in drive it wouldn't move.

BTW, I have 61k miles on the car. Isn't the warranty 60k?

Chris

The dealer hasn't done a diagnosis on it yet, but the service writer went to move the Explorer to a different location and he said it started up hard, but when he placed it in drive it wouldn't move.

Chris
Yes, powertrain is 5years, 60k miles. Wouldn't hurt to speak to the dealer to see if anything can be done about coverage.

Peter

Chris
Did you ever get everything working again?

Peter

Back