Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never seen an actual TSB for this issue. It is merely a Special Service Message informing dealers that there is a more robust panel in use now.

SSM 44221

Maybe we can get the Ford Service reps Crystal or Cory to confirm that there is a new more robust panel being used now to repair this issue.

Crystal or Cory, can you help resolve this? thanks.

Maybe we can get the Ford Service reps Crystal or Cory to confirm that there is a new more robust panel being used now to repair this issue.

How much more confirmation do you need, the SSM number is right there. Have your dealer look it up on Oasis.

Cory doesn't monitor this forum anymore. Crystal and Ashley do.

Peter

How much more confirmation do you need, the SSM number is right there. Have your dealer look it up on Oasis.

My bad. was not aware of Oasis and ssm #'s.

Would this improved panel had a different part # than the original?

Hi breshi,

We don't have access to service bulletins; the best resource for this kind of information is your local dealership. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I have a similar problem with my brand new 2014 Explorer. The first camping trip we took it broke. We didn't even realize till we unpacked the camping things from the car. What magic did you guys work to get Ford to warranty this for you? I've been denied over and over again.

Sorry to hear about that problem. It was my understanding that the seat backs where supposed to be using a stronger material.
Do you still have the 92 XLT? If not, it's time to update the year and model in your profile or add the new one to your signature. ;)

If your dealer is not willing to repair this for you, you can contact the Ford rep, Crystal (FordService) on this Forum via a private message. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Good luck.

Peter

I was able to get my cracked panels replaced by the dealer under warranty with no questions asked (thanks Hurley Ford in Tulsa). The new version of the panel looks to be the same material as the original one. The difference is that Ford added 2 cross braces to the underside of the panel to provide extra strength to the panel.

IMG_0692_zps01d5bced.jpg

Hello All,

First let me say Cory is very helpful. I really wish
The rest of Fords employees and service was as helpful.

Cory coordinated a meeting with my dealership regarding
the broken cargo lay flat board. Of course my dealership was
helpful in trying to figure out a way to strength the area " at my
own cost". This is not and was not covered under warranty.

Best of luck to you all. :) I really enjoyed my Ford Limited Explore.

Cory Thank you for all you have done and do for us Ford owners... My time
has come to move onto another vehicle. I wish I could say it would be another
Ford. Unfortunately, I do not think it will be Ford. If Ford provided rental cars or dealership cars for all routine maintenance and cove oil and tire rotation I might have considered another ford. I even prepaid for all maintenance to be covered ahead of time. Coming from a Cadillac to a Ford was because Ford pushed the envelope of technology in 2011 with MFT. Where Cadillac failed to keep up. Only thing I missed when I came to Ford was the level of service you receive at the dealership compared to Cadillac. Now I realize how important that was to me.

Oh well sorry for the long reply and a little off topic.

Cory hasn't been on this Forum for quite a while now. Hopefully Crystal (FordService) will pass along you appreciation. Crystal and Rebecca both have been very helpful Ford reps on the forums. Also, quite a few members have had this issue fixed under warranty.
The service you receive seems to depend on individual dealerships. My experience has been first rate. That is one reason I went to the dealership 30 minutes away instead of the one 5 minutes down the road. As far as free oil changes, rotations etc., nothing is free. You pay for it somewhere along the line.

Peter

Cory hasn't been on this Forum for quite a while now. Hopefully Crystal (FordService) will pass along you appreciation. Crystal and Rebecca both have been very helpful Ford reps on the forums. Also, quite a few members have had this issue fixed under warranty.
The service you receive seems to depend on individual dealerships. My experience has been first rate. That is one reason I went to the dealership 30 minutes away instead of the one 5 minutes down the road. As far as free oil changes, rotations etc., nothing is free. You pay for it somewhere along the line.

Peter
I agree 100%. I have a Ford dealership 3 miles from my house. I didn't buy there nor will I take my Explorer to be served there. I drive 27 miles to a dealership that has an amazing service department and wonderfully convenient shuttle vans (3 vans total so you are never waiting). If I want a loaner I can have one, but there is no reason I need to get one if its a simple oil change or the shuttles can get me someplace within 30 miles for free and without me driving or having to refill a gas tank. The more serious stuff I may consider asking for one of their (free Ford) loaners.

Anyone had this replaced under warranty in Canada?

I showed the cracked panel to the dealer 2 weeks ago and he told me they will replace it under warranty. So they ordered the replacement part. But when I brought the Explorer to the dealer to get it replaced.... Surprise!

I have been told it is not covered by warranty because it's not a material defect but rather an abusive use that caused this (this is obviously not the case as you already know). The dealer don't want to take a chance of not being paid by Ford Canada.

They also figured out that they ordered the wrong part anyways. The service manager even told me that they don't know what the part number is and that they can't find it in their reference guides.

I called Ford Canada Customer Service this morning, but I feel that nobody knows how to handle this case.

If someone has gone through this before in Canada, can you help me?

Can Crystal or Ashley help Ford Canada in this case?

In last resort, does anybody know what are the replacement part numbers?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the Forum jefflessard.:wavey:
Kwasi and Brittany are the resident Ford of Canada Customer Service representatives (FordServiceCA). You can PM them using this link; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=233337

To my knowledge, no other Canadian members have had this issue.
You can try searching www.fordparts.com for a part number. There are 103 pages shown for 'Seat'.
Good luck.

Peter

Thank you Peter.

I will pm FordServiceCA to see how they can help me.

About FordParts.com, I tried but I ended giving up after the nth page ;)

Welcome to the Forum jefflessard.:wavey:
Kwasi and Brittany are the resident Ford of Canada Customer Service representatives (FordServiceCA). You can PM them using this link; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=233337 ...

Thank you for providing this information, peterk9! It is truly appreciated.

Anyone had this replaced under warranty in Canada?

I showed the cracked panel to the dealer 2 weeks ago and he told me they will replace it under warranty. So they ordered the replacement part. But when I brought the Explorer to the dealer to get it replaced.... Surprise! ...

Thank you Peter.

I will pm FordServiceCA to see how they can help me. ...

I've received your private message, jefflessard, and have just replied with a case number. Please keep in touch and send any updates you have; I'll be here to help!

Brittany

I finally got it replacer under warranty yesterday.
I dont know what was Ford Canada involvement, but it certainly helped.

The only thing I was told by the dealer is that they sent pictures to Ford Canada and they have been replied that this part is covered by the warranty and that the dealer didn't need pre-approval. I'm just wondering if that story would of come so big if the dealer would have done this at first place, before calling me back and telling me it's not under warranty and that they don't want to take a chance of not being paid...

Yes I'm happy with the repair but the dealer service was horrible and not very professional.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I finally got it replacer under warranty yesterday.
I dont know what was Ford Canada involvement, but it certainly helped.

The only thing I was told by the dealer is that they sent pictures to Ford Canada and they have been replied that this part is covered by the warranty and that the dealer didn't need pre-approval. I'm just wondering if that story would of come so big if the dealer would have done this at first place, before calling me back and telling me it's not under warranty and that they don't want to take a chance of not being paid...

Yes I'm happy with the repair but the dealer service was horrible and not very professional.

I'm glad to hear that the repair was made successfully, jefflessard.

One option still available regarding the dealer's service to you is documenting feedback and visiting another local dealer for future service. Keep in mind that these reviews are often seen by service managers and are reviewed internally. If this is something you're interested in pursuing, please let me know privately and fill me in with any details you'd like included.

Brittany

Back