Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks. | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks.

Help!

Just got mine fixed at the dealer. My '13 Sport is at 60k miles so it cost $298 to repair (parts and labour).

Do you happen to have the part number of the seats back panel?

Mine also broke and is no longer under warranty. And the ford dealership in my town was no help AT all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you happen to have the part number of the seats back panel?

Mine also broke and is no longer under warranty. And the ford dealership in my town was no help AT all.
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:

Peter

2013 Explorer Sport 3rd row seat back cracks

I am looking for any information on the third row seat back cracks. I saw some previous threads, but nothing recent. If I missed something I apologize, I'm new here..My 2013 Explorer Sport lease will be up in a couple of months and I want to fix the issue so I don't get charged. Both of my third row seat backs have pretty bad damage, how can I find out if this is covered under my 36000/36?(I'm at 29000mi, 32mnths) What type of damage would be covered under the warranty? What would it cost out of pocket? Any help is appreciated Thank you, BMK

I am looking for any information on the third row seat back cracks. I saw some previous threads, but nothing recent. If I missed something I apologize, I'm new here..My 2013 Explorer Sport lease will be up in a couple of months and I want to fix the issue so I don't get charged. Both of my third row seat backs have pretty bad damage, how can I find out if this is covered under my 36000/36?(I'm at 29000mi, 32mnths) What type of damage would be covered under the warranty? What would it cost out of pocket? Any help is appreciated Thank you, BMK
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Using the 'Search' function I found this thread and merged yours with it. Good luck.

Peter

Thank you Peter! I appreciate your help, Brian

Ford Service - 3rd row seats

I just Got back from an oil change at Mahwah for in NJ. I asked them to take a look at my 3rd row because they were sagging in the middle. The Service guy said that they would have to take pictures and send them to ford, but his digital equipment was down. He said he would check with his manager and contact ford to see what they could do, then call me during the week if they needed digital picture. I'm a little skeptical.. I have a feeling this is going to be a pain.. Hoping for the best.. keep you posted..

I don't remember the thickness of the metal rod I used but I fixed mine for 10$. I cut 2 metal rods about 10" long each with roughly 3/8" to 1/2" diameter or so from Home Depot for each broken back (the diameter is really important and should fit snug) and slid them into the crack opening with the crack opened up. Then I straightened the seat back and slid the rods back down past the crack to act as a brace using a pick or small screwdriver thru the existing seatback holes to slide them down . I then squirted glue from a caulking tube to further brace the rods to the seat back into the channels I inserted them in, if any of this makes sense. You cant even tell they were broken and they are stronger than before with the weak spot now being the thin metal hinge under them (I wouldn't load more than 10-15 pounds on them still). I also made a wood platform and permanently left the third row folded down.

3rd row seat back

I just called the service department to see if there was any news on them covering my seat back cracks under warranty. I spoke with the guy who took care of my oil change on Saturday, he said his manager needs to look at it. He said that there have been some cases where they are not covered by Ford even under warranty. I am sure they are going to give me a hard time about it. They have all the information they need, why do they need me to come in again? It is the same info I gave the service guy, nothing has changed. We'll see..
reserved50, thank you for the repair info, I may use it depending on what the service manager says tomorrow. Let's hope I don't have to!

3rd row seat backs and Mahwah Ford

So, I was supposed to meet with the service manager last Friday so he could take a look at my seat backs to tell me if they were covered, but he went home sick. I set up a meeting for Monday, but he blew me off, I did get a call to say he had "gone out".. Yesterday I dropped in on my lunch and he was in a meeting, one of the techs took some pictures.. Not getting the warm and fuzzy at all. The tech said he would call Ford and let me know if it is going to be covered by the warranty... patience, deep breath...

Add me to the list.

My seat back cover just cracked the other day also....very poor design to begin with.....also having the problem with aluminum hoof corroding and paint bubbling. Both are very disturbing problems to have on a vehicle not even 3 yrs old. My 2004 Explorer had the aluminum hood corrode with paint bubbling....you'd think Ford would have realized there's a problem with the design/production in 9 yrs and do it a different way. Carcomplaints.com will list the most complained about problems and for 2013 Explorer it's hood corrosion/paint bubbling. Fat chance of getting anything covered for me though....2013 with 56k miles...I'm sure I'll get the typical Ford answer of.....tough luck...your on your own.

Would anyone by chance have the part numbers for the updated seat backs. I want to be able to look them up so I know how much they'll cost once I get the typical "sorry...your out of luck" from Ford.

3rd row seat back part number

I found part#60508 on www.fordparts.com, not 100% sure if it is what you need, you may want to give a Ford Parts department a call to confirm . You can also chat on-line from 8 to 8 M-F to see if it is the right one for your needs. They don't list any phone numbers that I could find.. Good luck..

look up Tascaparts.com they have the ford ones for $77

My seat back cover just cracked the other day also....very poor design to begin with.....also having the problem with aluminum hoof corroding and paint bubbling. Both are very disturbing problems to have on a vehicle not even 3 yrs old. My 2004 Explorer had the aluminum hood corrode with paint bubbling....you'd think Ford would have realized there's a problem with the design/production in 9 yrs and do it a different way. Carcomplaints.com will list the most complained about problems and for 2013 Explorer it's hood corrosion/paint bubbling. Fat chance of getting anything covered for me though....2013 with 56k miles...I'm sure I'll get the typical Ford answer of.....tough luck...your on your own.

Maybe we can get some more feedback on this from FoMoCo since the Ford reps are back on here with us.

I ended up calling the Ford Customer Service number I found here and opened a case with them. I called my Ford service guy and gave him the case number, he said he would send out the pictures right away.. Now why couldn't he have called Ford 4 weeks ago when I spoke to him? Isn't it his job? I love my Explorer Sport! I am not liking Mahwah Ford service.. Count down is on about 65 days to return my lease.. Do I buy it out? Return it for a new 2016? Not sure, Durango? I had a 2005 V8.. Ahhhh, maybe I just suck it up... Happy Easter!

I ended up calling the Ford Customer Service number I found here and opened a case with them. I called my Ford service guy and gave him the case number, he said he would send out the pictures right away.. Now why couldn't he have called Ford 4 weeks ago when I spoke to him? Isn't it his job? I love my Explorer Sport! I am not liking Mahwah Ford service.. Count down is on about 65 days to return my lease.. Do I buy it out? Return it for a new 2016? Not sure, Durango? I had a 2005 V8.. Ahhhh, maybe I just suck it up... Happy Easter!
Not sure if Ford has the same option in the States but here you can extend your lease provided you have a order in for a new one if you are considering a 2017 at all.

Peter

Peter, Thank you, I will look into that as an option.. Brian

Maybe we can get some more feedback on this from FoMoCo since the Ford reps are back on here with us.
Let me look into this and get it documented for you, fyrfyter612. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Glad to learn this was escalated for you, BMK1962.

Deysha

Let me look into this and get it documented for you, fyrfyter612. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Glad to learn this was escalated for you, BMK1962.

Deysha

You mean the seat backs cracking, the hood corrosion or both?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back