Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Cargo Lamp Replacement

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Fred93, July 3, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Fred93

Fred93 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1993 Explorer XLT 4WD
    Hi 1st Gen Fans,

Has anyone replaced their interior rear cargo lamp? I got a replacement bulb that looks to match the specified 211-2 bulb. Sort of a tube with pointy metal ends that looks like it snaps into a bracket of sorts.

I removed the plastic rear cargo lamp cover from the ceiling and found a tube shaped lamp with loops of wire sticking out of each end. The loops go around two metal prongs in the light fixture. Is this just an unusual lamp, or is there a way to fit that pointy end lamp in the loopy wire fixture? If not, does anyone know the spec number of the wire loop lamp?

The truck is a '93 XLT.

Thanks!

2. Support EF

Special! - 2 Year Elite membership now through July 24 $20!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Exploring XLT

Exploring XLT Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
    93 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD
    I put the cylinder one into where the wire one was, it has stayed in so far.

4. Fred93

Fred93 New Member

1993 Explorer XLT 4WD
    Thanks for the tip on the cylinder lamp. The cylinder I got was just a bit too short to stay in the mount. After some additional internet research I found out that the tube lamp with wire loops at the end is called a rigid loop festoon lamp. Don't know what a "festoon" is, but that's what they called it. The part number that looks to match is RL4410. I have one coming soon to try out.

I can see the advantage of the wire loops for mounting in the ceiling of the cargo area. There are little clips in the fixture that the loops slide in to that keep the lamp from from falling out.

Thanks!

5. Wilson Vo

Wilson Vo New Member

City, State:
    Arlington, Texas
    1991 Ford Explorer 4x4
    I just used the normal non rigid one. Has stayed in so far.

6. ModT1927

ModT1927 New Member

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4X
    And as a side note:
    My lights were going dim as time has gone by: new light switch (worth every penny!) in the dash changed all that! Whoa! Much brighter lights all around: headlights, tail lights, interior lights; all brighter!
    AND
    did a search for LED conversion kit for 1993 Ford Explorer XLT and found one for a few dollars: I now have all the interior lights switched out to LED bright white, including the door lights: way brighter now! Worth every penny!
    FYI
    I do all my own work on truck because if I have to pay, might as well get a new one....
    This one a third vehicle with 87k and running just fine.
    Good luck to you!