Carlovers Desert Beater Build | Page 34 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carlovers Desert Beater Build

Well im starting to source parts and gather up some good stuff. I figured id start a thread just to show everyone that the ideas are. Should be a pretty fun setup when done. Everything will be being built by Brandon at BTF Fab.

The rear will be a 4 link with a panhard bar and cantilever coilovers. Shooting for around 20" of rear travel. Full size van 9", and should be around 3.5" wider per side than stock

Front will be a BTF front setup more than likely with a fully fabbed spindle with d44 hubs and uniball upper and lowers. Should pull around 16-17" of travel. Will be around 5" wider a side than stock.

It will be a fairly slow build due to finances. It will be built in stages obviously and should take around 12-16 months to be fully complete.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Back from the dead, finally decided to get a dash in this thing. It should be done soon, but heres a few pics.

1002310_661437330551814_2070737457_n_zpsd5488d5f.jpg

374398_661437407218473_1954967054_n_zps0caa6bad.jpg

That looks great. I just started posting over here. It is cool to see all of the Explorers that I have followed on DR for the past couple of years over here.

i use a Lowrance too, i love it,, loaded it with the topo maps, and it works good,

Been working on this thing again, will have some good updates soon. Itll be seeing dirt again in just a few short weeks.

..:scratch:..I thought you were selling this and it sold?

..What's the latest and any current picture updates?

It was for sale, I kept working on it. Progress came to a halt in Sep 2013 when my dad got very sick and we lost him in Nov so it's been just sitting for awhile now. The plan is to finish it and enjoy it for a bit finally.

..I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad..:(

...Eagerly looking forward to seeing progress and pictures of this build again..:D

I love the Mezzanine rear suspension.
Have you had any problems with it? I hear the frame likes to bend where the spindles are attached. Also are you incorporating a sway bar in yours?

We had a few issues with the rods that attach to the axle maxing out and putting a ton of side load on the frame and bending it. With the new arms and longer rods everything has been ok since. eventually the plan is to add a sway bar with manual hubs to lock and unlock it.

How comfy are those seats?
Any plans on getting an aftermarket steering wheels?

I love the seats, def very comfortable. .
Very nice. what kind are they? where would be a good place (read: cheap) to get them?
Also are you using custom seat rails or can you get universal ones with some tweaking can make them fit?

Back