Carnage at 360 Trail in Dallas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carnage at 360 Trail in Dallas

Here's a copy from another thread Gofast started when we had a real bad trip to a local spot in north Texas. I managed to lay my pretty new and pretty expensive Eddie Bauer all the way over on its right side. Ugh.

"It's a little hard to tell, but the gold trim on both fenderwells also got pretty screwed up. You can see where some of it got ripped out behind the front wheel; the rest got scraped up, but since it is pliable, the shape wasn't messed up too bad.

View

The side mirror luckily not only turns inward on impact; it also slides up! The mirror actually got pushed up several inches on its pivot mount and was hanging off of the top. All we had to do was fiddle with it awhile until it snapped back down into place. It is obvious that the front door bottom took most of the hit.

The picture doesn't capture the depth of the ding on the front door; it went all the way in to the interior door bar that strengthens the door in case of side impact. If you look closely at the rear of the front door you will see that when closed it still stuck out over an inch. The doorskin just folded in and pulled the edges out.

The white spot on the upper portion of the rear door marks where the back part of the vehicle laid down. I think I can get a paintless dent popper to fix that before getting it repainted again. Picture quality doesn't reveal all the damage and severe "Trail Pinstriping" surrounding that mark going right down to the metal.

The Herculiner did a good job of covering up all that stuff on the lower doors. It's hard to tell in the picture but the rear lower door was pretty messed up too."
------------------------------------------------------

Here's another bonus. It's on my registry page. It is the first Whoops I got that really cost me some money. It happened in Clayton, OK.

View

The picture is somewhat of an optical illusion. If you look closely at the ground below my rear bumper you can tell the boulder is much bigger than it looks in the picture; my rear bumper is about five feet above the ground. My right rear tire was gripping and hugging the side of the other boulder about two and a half feet above ground. Had my KO's lost their grip and fallen down, I would have smashed my entire right side into it. That area was 4+ trail stuff and I really got in over my head there. But I made it and only got strapped once.

I've done lots of little other stuff too like ripped my foglamps out on the trail (twice, that's four fogs at $75/each; I remove them now before I do a run) but that just comes with the territory in this sport. The first whoops I had was stuffing my tailpipe into a creek bed and taking a core sample so solid we had to hacksaw off a foot of it before we could get to where there was no clay mud packed into it. Gemini Bridges Trail in Moab took the rest of the tailpipe off. It ends about six inches behind my muffler now, above my rear axle.

I have to get credit to the integrity of the drivetrain so far though; all my whoops have been cosmetic body damage and accessory type stuff. I've yet to have a major mechanical or systems failure and I've ridden it pretty hard for a grocery-getter.

[Edited by GJarrett on 12-09-2000 at 04:06 PM]

...looks like the running boards took a beating in that picture too.... bust open the wallet... BTW, what are you doing out there in that thing? :)

Gerald,
u and ray have 2 of the nicest Explorers i have seen, that damage makes me ill. hope all is well.
Rick

GJarrett,
Was the 2nd pic before you did your lift? If so why in the hell do you go on a 4+ trail. Don't you love offroading. You buy stuff just to FIX it.

I had the torsion twist and 1" hockey puck body lift at that time, and that was right after I got the 285/75r16's on there.

Our trailboss missed a turn on the trail, our group got lost, and we ended up where no one had gone before. It was a rough afternoon. Several vehicles took damage at that obstacle you see in the picture. I took the hit going back out, after we started retracing our steps to return back and try to find where we left the trail. Believe it or not, I actually made it over that thing the first time through on the way out. Gofast was in front spotting me and I never got out of the vehicle to see what I was really going over. He took me over it without a scratch. He's a heckuva spotter. When I got out after going over it, I nearly soiled my shorts when I saw what I had just accomplished. Alas, it got me the second time through and I wasn't so lucky that time.

My left slid off and highcentered on the running board. I had to take the strap to get pulled over it, but that was the only time I took the strap all day. J**pers were getting strapped and winched constantly. Right after this we had to climb a dry waterfall with basketball sized boulders on it. The lead Jeep simply winched to a tree at the top and winched himself up, then started helping others. I made it without winching. By that time the J**pers that had started the day making fun of me had tagged my Explorer with the name "Jeepeater". You may notice old posts where I am referred to as that, but I thought the name a little antagonistic and eventually dropped it.

This happened at Clayton, OK. You can search for "Clayton" and pull up the old thread where the trip was discussed.

[Edited by GJarrett on 12-14-2000 at 07:52 PM]

Back