• Register Today It's free!

carrier interchangeable

Jimbo92

Reaction score
City, State
Greenwood, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt, 97 5.0 mounty
will the carrier from an early 90 f150 work in an explorer 8.8? i have a 95 explorer with auto trans. the explorer carrier has a toothed ring the f150 does not..will it still shift and everything work except abs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The toothed ABS exciter ring comes off the Explorer diff and slips around the replacement diff. If the F150 diff has a little notch for the tab on the exciter ring, it will work. If not, you might be able to grind a small notch for it. You can kinda see the notch on the ring gear flange in these pics:

dtl-913a561_w.jpg

fms-m-4204-a28.jpg

do i have to have this ring? of can i just bolt the ring gear to the carrier and not have abs

What about the axle spline count and diameter? If they are dfferent the it wont work

they are the same i just need to know about that ring but of course a new problem has arrison the ausie locker that is the same for f150 or explorer is the same part number but it wont fit in the f150 carrier

They should both be 31 spline.

Is your F150 carrier an open diff or limited slip? I'm pretty sure it has to be on open diff to work with the Aussie locker. You might have to find a different carrier.

the carrier is open and it is 31 spline that isnt the question the question regards whether or not i need to put that toothed ring next to the ring gear back on on the f150 carrier for it the explorer to shift, i know it controls abs but what else does it control do i have to have it?

as for the sucker not fitting they must have packaged to wrong locker its the right spline count but it wont fit in that hole in the carrier where the side gears drop in i guess this is what i get for deciding to to a build the week before riverrock ive got the fj and the xplorer tore down trying to finish both

thanks for yalls input in trying to figure this out with me

Back