cat back exhaust: to get or not to get? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cat back exhaust: to get or not to get?

catback exhaust system: yes or no?

• get the "high flow, low noise" muffler with 2.25" pipes

Votes: 36 70.6%
  • go with the stock system

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Always listen to Alec, he knows his exhaust!

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters
I consider replacing it daily.. but I'm not financially ready for that even in the slightest.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

like drew said, the baumann kit WOULD HAVE been good had you done it back when/if your tranny was ok. it has been said here 10,000 times that your tranny is screwed up, and NONE OF OURS SHIFTS/ACTS LIKE YOURS. you can listen to all the ford machanics in the world, but the 4R70W, in stock form, acts nothing like yours does.

look at exhaust/intakes as "gateway" mods. if you had wanted a charger or cam in the future, you would have to do these things first anyway. no, an exhaust+intake is not gonna do more than about 10-15hp. but, with other mods, exhuast+intake is a necessity. also, dont put all of you faith in a dyno run. those are just for comparison only. dyno's are not known to be extremely accurate from dyno to dyno, only from car to car. in other words, your dyno said 170rwhp, another may say 150 rwhp, and another may say 188 rwhp. they are only to be used to give you an idea of what your mods have done with a baseline test done. also, if your tranny is slipping most of the time, but holding at upper RPM's, then the dyno will read your true 170 peak, but you will not see the sh!tty numbers @ acceleration if all you are looking at is peak.

a dyno run on an engine is just like a RTI scale to a rock-crawler. it is a TOOL to see if your mods are working for you, with a baseline to be taken first. it is NOT to be used as a be-all, end-all test of a vehicles' true performance.

well, my transmission has shifted like this for 40k miles or so. No shops, ford included.. but not limited to.. found anything wrong.

I didn't even get 10-15hp.. the baseline is already defined by ford for the truck, 168.. with the exhaust and intake I only gained 2 hp peak. according to the dyno.

my truck did horrible today, but whatever, I cut a guy off in a honda by accident.. and managed to avoid a collision all together, so.. at least it handles well.

its too late to bother putting a shift kit in. the things probablly almost dead.

Originally posted by DarkFox1
I didn't even get 10-15hp.. the baseline is already defined by ford for the truck, 168.. with the exhaust and intake I only gained 2 hp peak. according to the dyno.

You just don't seem to get it... a baseline on YOUR truck not an industry average. Every truck is different. W/o a base run on YOUR truck, YOU cannot say what effect the cat back did.

Originally posted by aldive
You just don't seem to get it... a baseline on YOUR truck not an industry average. Every truck is different. W/o a base run on YOUR truck, YOU cannot say what effect the cat back did.
atleast someone understood what i was saying. i tried to make it as clear as i could.:confused:

I understand what you're saying.. but for me to gain 10-15HP from my baseline from the catback would mean that my vehicle is severley below average and therefore below the industry standard, which I refuse to beleive that my car is just a lemon.

..... and we thought you had quit complaining about HP and moved on to the tranny.....

Wow it isnt very often but Aldive actually made me laugh. Good job man i needed a good laugh right now. Working on a damn paper.

Well I don't know about you all, but I just had my flowmaster with dual outs put on and I'm more than satisfied. Could be a little deeper rumble but I can feel a power difference. Of course my old muffler had a gaping hole in it and I drove like that until I could afford to get the exhaust set up I wanted. I got used to the loud sound and now my exhaust is quieter. But like I said the response is noticeable.

Gots me a borla setup. Me like. Not very noticabe power gain. Sounds and looks great.

Back