Catalytic Converter Repair?

explorerluv09

Reaction score
City, State
boston ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
Hi everyone,

First, Thanks to everyone on this forum. I haven't found so much helpful information anywhere else on the net.

Well, as mentioned in a previous post, this is the next issue I'm facing with my XLT. The rear catalytic converter has separated from the exhaust pipe, and now you can hear a loud hum coming from the vehicle.

I tried to cover as many angles as i could while taking the pictures so you can see what's going on.

PICT1597.jpg

PICT1622.jpg

PICT1597.jpg

PICT1600.jpg

I've never done anything with an exhaust system before, and would like to know if this can be fixed without having to take it to a welder.

Thanks in advance for your help. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take the clamp off and have that sucker welded. shouldnt be no more than 20 bucks.

Just $20? I've been thinking welding jobs would cost a lot more and never bothered to call around.

Which raises another question. Considering the cost of a direct fit cat, is it possible instead to get a single universal cat (like a Magnaflow) and have it welded to my exhaust?

Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks...

If you run to an exhaust shop, they can do everything you're looking for. I had 2 leaking, rusty cats replaced with new ones, 2 removed (my truck had 4) and pipe welded in their place. Had I not had a favor called in, normal price would have been just over $300 for all parts and labor.

That's good to know. I'll start calling around to see if I can get a good price for a new one.

Thanks!

Well, I haven't found the time to take it to a welder, so I'm still wondering if I could use JB Weld to hold it together temporarily, especially if I clean off the rust. Any suggestions?

What's a good de-rusting solution? Is CLR ok to use?

How safe will it be to use a JB Weld-type compound? Will I have to worry about the cat getting hotter than normal once it's "glued" back to the pipe?

Sorry for all of the questions, just want to make sure I can make this repair correctly until I can get it into a shop.

Thanks everyone...

Cats can run extremely hot, no type of glue will hold it. With all the effort and time it would take you may as well use that time to call around to some exhaust shops.

Check on Summit racings website or LMC. They sell replacement down pipe and cat assemblys that just bolt in and then you install your existing cat-back with the factory hardware.

But it would be much cheaper to have it welded.

i would just weld it like it is if the cat still good

Hi all,

Well I finally found the time to get the cat welded. What a difference! Finally a quiet ride!

Thanks for everyone's help.

Back