Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

CB and Ham Antena Locations... Post Your Pictures Here

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by Arthur, December 10, 2006.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. '97 V8

'97 V8 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    ft. knox ky
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '97 mounty 5.0 4x4 baby!!
    You make the military communications in a tank look like a joke. But seriously, i have no idea what all that is except for a radio and cb.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Abom

Abom Active Member

City, State:
    Whitehorse, Yukon Territories
    1996 4X4
    Ray, you are the KING of communications inside a vehicle. I have a lot myself, but don't even come CLOSE to you :salute:

4. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic New Member

City, State:
    Central Vermont
    03' XLS
    Meh, amateur gear.

I'm a bigger fan of the commercial stuff. I've got a Icom 208H sitting in my Explorer right now for RX purposes, but once I get some spare time all my Motorola gear will be in.

The biggest reason I'm not a fan of the "Ham stuff" is because of lack of type acceptance for use on business/public safety frequencies. This is a must for what I do, and my "commercial stuff" can do both no problem.

For HF, or anything below 10 meters, the availability of commercial rigs goes down unless you want to start spending big bucks. For my use, I don't need anything below LowBand.

Once I get my digi-cam back, I'll post photos.

5. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Dana Point, CA
    '93 XLT
    Commercial Radio Gear

Fire_Medic,

I agree, commercial gear, especially Motorola, is generally built to higher standards than most Ham gear. (I might take exception in the case of Yaesu's Mil-spec stuff), however, there is a bit of problem concerning space. Commercial gear tends to be Mono Band, and I would have to have 13 radios to cover the Ham Band capabilities that I have in 2 Ham radios!
    (160M, 80M, 60M, 40M, 30M, 20M, 17M, 15M, 19M and 6M on the Alinco DX70, and 2M, 1.25M, and 70CM on the Kenwood TM-742. No way would I have room to mount all the radios/control heads in an EX. Now some might question the need for all the bands, but I do use most of them! I remember a specific case on a Moab trip when Ranger=X managed to roll his rig, rendering it undriveable and we needed to reach Rick in another group. Cell coverage: non-existant, CB not enough range, 2M. no available repeater we both could reach, BUT 40M worked just fine! I consider a wide range of bands essential in case of emergency in many of the places we wheel. I'm not a huge Kenwood fan, but the TM-742 is the only radio that will give me the 3 bands in one small box and control head.

As for the dual=use thing. Well, in my Fire Dept days (retired 2 years ago after 31 Years, Fire Captain, Orange Co. Calif. Fire <www.ocfa.org>) our comm system was all 850 Mhz, Digital Trunking, and often encrypted for sensitive communications, so not much cross-over to Ham gear there! Also, absolutely no POV's were authorized FD radios, and even if you had one, the system computers wouldn't recognize you and let you in. Occaisionally, someone would steal a handheld, so ECC would just lock that specific radio out of the system, and it would become as useful as a brick! The thief can't even listen to FD traffic, let alone transmit. They usually turned up pretty quickly then ;)

I am in process of converting a (shudder) Kenwood TK-931 900 MHz commercial into the 900 ham band: there are about 10 900 MHz repeaters here in S. CA. but no ham manufacturer makes gear for that band, so you gotta convert. I went with the K-wood because you can pick them up for about $25. (paid $20 for mine). Hope to find a good Bat Wings 900 rig soon, though.

Bottom line: If you just want one band, Commercial gear is great. but if you need more, not so good, IMHO

6. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic New Member

City, State:
    Central Vermont
    03' XLS
    When you want to cover all bands, it can become a pain. No doubt there. Anything below 10 meters while mobile just doesn't interest me, so commercial gear usually covers what I want to listen to just fine. If there is something we absolutely need to tune in on, a cross band repeater can be setup in 10-15 minutes tops. Heck, most of the time everything is setup and it's just a matter of throwing the switch.

I've got an Icom 208H in my vehicle temporarily, and will keep it once all my "other" stuff is in, but it'll go into RX mode only with the unit mounted under the seat and an external speaker.

If you're looking for a good BatWing 900 amateur rig, try some of the 800 mhz Maxtracs. With a few modifications they've been known to be pretty good about converting from 800. I'm sure you know about this site, but just in case, http://batlabs.com is a GREAT resource.

Trunking, meh, another thing that I'm not a fan of. Here in VT, it would require so many extra sites, TX locations, etc just because of the mountainous terrain and all the little valleys with major roadways running through them. Most of the stuff here (with the exception of a TINY trunking system) is VHF or UHF digital conventional. Most places are going to voted-receive with transmitter steering/selectable TX sites. Makes communications much "easier". Oh, there are some sneaky ways around the whole trunking and "bricked radio" things.... But that's talk we probably shouldn't have on an open board. Heh.

I'm trying to convince some of the local guys to do some amateur microwave stuff just to play with. I think it'd be a great way for us to link repeater sites together, especially the ones that are near line of site. Apparently doing things that way "takes the fun out of it"... And what do I know, it's "new" stuff and can't ever be good, right?

-Chris

7. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    Is your cb still set up like this?

Did you do anything to get the radio and cb to stay in place? Hidden bracket? Any issues with this install? Thanks!

8. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    here we go...

I'd like to do this, I have the same cb... the antna mount will be placed on the driver's fender inside and protrude upward like the factory antna (welded so no bolts will show on the exterior). Sound safe?

CB in the same location as Stic-o's.

9. cybergasm

cybergasm B

City, State:
    Humboldt Ks
    1997 Mountaineer 5.0
    Well you could get a inside the fender mount like Ritsui has on his Ex and it's adjustable so u can put it down to get into a garage or whatever

here a pic of what I am talking about. It's on the driver side fender
    [​IMG]

10. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    Exactly!

the antenna will always be off unless needed... so that's a great location... I was debating four holes to have it bolted on or one hole at the top and have it welded on from inside... the weld sounds best. Thanks! that's the location there... and the cb will go right up under the radio... i don't use the radio, so i was thinking even that (antna location) could be used as an antena mount location...

11. Stic-o

Stic-o Elite Movie Star Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Lake View Terrace, CA
    '91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
    yeap still like this, works great:thumbsup: I have a few piece of that strip steel with holes in it holding it togeter. Both piece go from each side of cb mounts to rear center mount on Stereo. Seem's to very stable in there. the switch plate, is just a cd cover plastic cut to shape and the with holes drilled in it.;) I love the mic mount however, it's out of the way, and easy to reach:thumbsup:

12. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    Sweet! I'm out the door... I'll post it in about 4 hours or so. Thanks guys!!!

13. mounty71

mounty71 It's green, not gray. Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Oakland, CA
    '00 Mountaineer
    Stic-o, i wanted to mount my mic in the same place, but was wondering how you did it. I just hope that in the event the airbag deploys, the mic doesn't smack someone in the head. :rolleyes: Haha.

14. Exploderpilot

Exploderpilot Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Nuevo, CA (where?)
    07 Titan SE
    So, rick, who do you talk to on the uhf/vhf?

15. Raminator157

Raminator157 Mopar Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Essex Jct Vermont
    05 Ram 1500
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. DeRocha

DeRocha NEX Vice President Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Brockton, MA
    '93 XLT 4x4
    Nothing fancy, just a clean picture of my Cobra 18wxSTII CB followed by a picture of my ball antenna mount.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Raminator157

City, State:
    Essex Jct Vermont
    05 Ram 1500
    I know those explorers.

[​IMG]

18. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    Wtf!!

Raminator, where, what, how??? Are you CIA :D:D Good Lord! That is a he!! of a set up there... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

DeRocha's would be the ideal location for my radio, but my vehicle doesn't have that free space. Only two locations: overhead or under the stereo...

19. techieman33

techieman33 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Topeka, KS
    00 V8 Mountaineer
    there is also in the center console to consider, mountaineergreen and a few others have theirs in their. I think that's what I"m going to do whenever I get around to buying one.

20. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    Thanks! It would be nice if it were hidden or at least out of view... that center console, i was thinking about having it mounted there... but the dash is the most accessible location.
    I thought about that area under the steering wheel, but it's not really accessible.

I figured I'll get a hand held for the car... just in case. Another day.

21. Raminator157

City, State:
    Essex Jct Vermont
    05 Ram 1500
    haha, yea I know. Its my Fire Dept VHF Motorola CDM1250. Its so sweet. Remote Head unit. All that plugs into it, its a ethernet cable. I have all the guts of the radio behind my bench seats. I just recently got all this put in. I have a thread in here about it all.