Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

CB antenas ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by «Mätthëw»², April 13, 2001.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. «Mätthëw»²

«Mätthëw»² New Member

City, State:
    Monore, Louisiana
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    92 Sport
    I was wondering where is a good place I could mount 2 cb atenas that would be out of sight? Could I put them under my explorer? I don't want them on top that looks ugly on a suv to me. If I putthem under my car they would still pick up as good wouldn't they?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Ray Lobato

Ray Lobato Moderator Moderator Emeritus

2006 Honda Accord
    I am moving this to the Ham and CB forum. Ray Hutchinson can explain in much better detail why you can't put it under the truck

4. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Streamwood, IL
    97 Sport
    The point of having an antenna is to receive signals. If you put your antenna under your truck you probably wont get any signal. I’m sure there are small antennas you can buy but if I’m not mistaken, the smaller the antenna, the weaker the signal (assuming all else is equal like quality).

Just my 2 cants but I’m no expert.

5. JamminG4Jim

JamminG4Jim Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Near St. Paul, MN.
    2000 Sport
    Hi Matthew

There are antenna's available that double as your FM radio antenna. Replaces your outside FM antenna (if you HAVE an outside antenna,that is)...Total stealth!

6. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Nor*Cal
    2001, F150, XLT 4x4
    jamming4, as others have said and my opinion also, those antennas suck!

7. JamminG4Jim

City, State:
    Near St. Paul, MN.
    2000 Sport
    I agree, it's just an option for Matthew.

They DO suck, but also solves his problem. It beats clamping an antenna to his leaf springs!!! LOL!

8. Perry

Perry Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Loveland Co.
    1994 XLT
    I tried searching for this, but nothing would come up. I was wondering what is a good brand of Cb Antena???
    I am looking for one that is just a maginet type I think.

Going to get one today and get the CB in the Explorer.
    Right now we use a hand held and I don't like them as well.

9. JamminG4Jim

City, State:
    Near St. Paul, MN.
    2000 Sport
    Hi Perry

For the $$$ and limited use I'd go to Radio Shack and get one of theirs! Works good, pre-tuned to the center channel on CB (CH.20). One of my co-workers bought one a few days ago. Works Great!!!

Now MINE, of course, is permanently mounted to the left front fender/hood seam. It's a TRAM brand antenna which will allow my use of it either on CB or the 10 Meter Ham band. I know. I know. My truck looks like a Porcupine! LOL

10. Perry

City, State:
    Loveland Co.
    1994 XLT
    I think I would rather have one that is a maginet on the roof instead of on the fender.
    Maybe I will check them out and see. We have a CB shop out at the truck stop I was thinking of checking out, but I think they want around $40.00 for a antena. Is that bad or good??

11. JamminG4Jim

City, State:
    Near St. Paul, MN.
    2000 Sport
    $40.00 for a complete antenna is reasonable. Radio shack is cheaper, put the quality of R.S. antenna's is also cheaper. Normally the Truck Stop Antenna's are a better grade due to their use on Semi's...Which beat up an antenna more than a passenger vehicle.

IMHO.

12. Perry

City, State:
    Loveland Co.
    1994 XLT
    Thanks,
    I think we will go check it out today and see what they have.

13. leebo

leebo Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Mingo Junction, OH
    1994 Explorer Sport
    Perry.....I totaly suggest that you take a look at the Truckstop. That's where I've bought almost all my antenna's. You never can go wrong with a Firestik or a Wilson. I was able to find a mount that allowed me to put it on the stock roof rack without a problem. If you want a mag mount take a look around the site, several people have had good luck with them.

Last edited: April 14, 2001
  14. Perry

City, State:
    Loveland Co.
    1994 XLT
    Thanks everyone,
    I went ahead and got a magnet type at the truck stop and picked up a
    Wilson "Little Will" with the magnet and it seems to work out really well. I also installed the CB I got off the Internet along with a bunch of others here.
    NO WE ARE READY FOR MOAB!!!!!!

Oh, I have to change the rear brakes yet, fix dad's Explorer, and if we have time get the truck done so I can pull the Explorer. he, he!!

15. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Dana Point, CA
    '93 XLT
    Antennas Under??

Matthew2,

I definitely don't reccomend putting the antenna under the car, quite simply the performance will be TERRIBLE! All you'll likely recieve are electrical noises and static from the car's electrical system, especially the dreaded Explorer fuel pump whine! Radio signals don't go through metal too well, especially an entire car, also just having the antenna near metal, except for the antenna base, will "detune" the antenna, and absorb your transmitted signals.

In the world of antennas, like other things, size matters;-). The optimum practical CB antenna is an 8 1/2" verticle whip. This often isn't practical on a vehicle, so antennas are mechanically shortened by using coils, and other matching circuitry to make the antenna "appear" to be 81/2 feet long, electricaly, to the radio, but performance is always degraded.

I can understand why you might not like the looks of an antenna, so a good compromise might be to get a "Mag mount", like a Firestick, or Wilson "Li'l Wil. They come in models with magnetic mounting bases (Hence the name "Mag mount"), and you can remove it when you don't need the radio.

16. Perry

City, State:
    Loveland Co.
    1994 XLT
    Ray,
    I ended up getting one of those Little Will mag antenas. I did have a question. When I bought it it had just a little piece sticking out of it and you get the bigger antena to put in.
    Can you still use the little piece of antena that came with it?
    I know the reseption won't be as good, but it would work for around town and then it wouldn't stick out as bad.

17. yob_yeknom

yob_yeknom Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Glade Hill, Virginia
    '97 XLT & '06 Limited
    NO! It all has something to do with the antenna needing to have a certain amount of impedance so as not to hurt the radio or something like that. You could use it to listen to other people (reception would SUCK though), but DO NOT talk back with the little piece. It's for putting in there to keep dirt and water out of the mount if you need to take the taller whip off to go under something or if you take it off for a severe lightning storm.

18. «Mätthëw»²

«Mätthëw»² New Member

City, State:
    Monore, Louisiana
    92 Sport
    Well what if i got 2 atenas and laided them down and mounted them on my roof rake laying on my car? Nobody would notice them and I don't think that would affect recption much would it?

19. FlyAU

FlyAU Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Atlanta, GA
    2013 GLI, 2013 Escape
    Matt, you're reception's still going to be shot. For it to function properly, the antenna needs to be mounted full-upright, preferably in the center of the vehicle's roof. The fuel pump in the Explorer is notorious for adding interference, so mounting it on the rear bumper isn't a wise decision either.

BTW, I normally stow my antennal laying down, and flip it up when I need to use the CB.

20. Ray Lobato

Ray Lobato Moderator Moderator Emeritus

2006 Honda Accord

You can pretty much do anything you want, it's your truck, BUT if you want your CB to work at it's best. you have to put the antenna where it can do the best job, eventhough it dosen't look cool. Also your roof rack IS NOT GROUNDED. My suggestion to you, since you really don't want to messup the lines of your truck, is to use a mag mount and only put it up on your truck when you use it. Try to put it in the same spot everytime as it will change the standing wave ratio if it is moved else where. good luck

21. Stephen S

Stephen S Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Houston, TX
    '07 XLT Ironman
    2 Questions

The first is for Leebo,
    Do you have a picture of the mount you used to mount the antenna to the factory roof rack?? That's exactly what I would like to do.

The second is for FlyAU,
    What kind of mount do you use to stow the antenna laying down. With mine mounted on the roof rack, I would really like that ability so I could still put under the carport and to hide it when I do not need it.

Thanks guys.