Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

CB antenas ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by «Mätthëw»², April 13, 2001.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 Ranger Edge
    Tnx for the come back.

OK on the coax; do you plan to run it differently later on or is it working OK.

I used my wife's Navajo for a run to the Vermont Truck Show the first weekend in August and ran a temp CB setup in it using the rear window, the fold out type. The coax ran down the side of the vehicle into the bottom of the side window and then to the center console where the radio was stuck between the folded rear seat and the console. The power came from the cig lighter. I use a Little Wil antenna by Wilson, the whole package worked better than my permenant setup in my truck, go figure...

What ever works for you is the way to go.

If you run the coax differently let the forum know how you did it, always interested.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Stephen S

Stephen S Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Houston, TX
    '07 XLT Ironman
    Alright, after all my hemming and hawing about the radio, I've finally decided on a Uniden PRO 520 XL. It's a small radio and it will fit just where I want to put it with no problems (between the driver's seat and center console...bolted to the console). I've been told it's a good radio for the price.

On the antenna side, I think I am going to use this mount to stick the antenna on the front roof rack cross bar.

[​IMG]

As for the antenna, I think I'll get either a 3 foot Firestik II (tunable tip) or Wilson Silver Load. Opinions?? And I think I'll need about 25 feet of coax (going through the rear hatch).

Sandy, does this sound like a good beginner's setup?? Thanks a bunch for all your advice and help.
    BTW: I'll probably be ordering almost everything from www.exportradios.com.

4. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    Stephen S,

Again I say, if you like the way it looks and sounds it is good...

Sounds good to me, the Uniden brand has been around for a while and always produced a quality product so I would use it.

The antenna should also be chosen for use; I have the Wilson 5000 for high way use, it would also work off-road but I use the 2 ft Wilson Flexi fiberglass model. This unit sticks up only two feet or so above the vehicle and hits less than the 5000 unit.
    The antennas you mentioned are pretty much the same, so look at the antennas you mentioned, hold them up to the vehicle, if you like it then that is that. Set it up, match the SWR, keep the coax as short as possible.

Oh ya coax, at the frequency you are on, 11 meters, it is not a problem running any coax but the better quality the better performance. DO NOT run Radio Shack coax!
    Go to a HAM store around your area and buy some "RG8X" my choice or RG8U". Make sure to get as close to a 100% braid shield as you can and a double shield of foil and braid would be even better.
    Reason for shielding: FORD, FORD, FORD... the X, Ranger and the likes, have problems with noise, especially from the gas tank area and that is where you want to go by with your coax. There is not much more you can do except drill a hole in your roof, buy a waterproof feed-thru and hope for the best.

Here I go running off at the mouth again, I hope this makes sense.

One more thing, ground the radio chassis to the body or frame or maybe the seat bolt, make sure the antenna moount is grounded also.
    You may need to run an extra wire to the frame from the ant mount.

Any questions just ask.

5. Stephen S

Stephen S Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Houston, TX
    '07 XLT Ironman
    Sandy, thanks for all the tips. I will keep them in mind as I gather parts.

The CB's use will be road/highway nearly all of the time. My poor 2 wheeler doesn't make it far off road. With that said, I'm thinking I'll probably go with a Wilson Silver Load antenna because they are thinner and lighter than a same length Firestik. Maybe it will cut down on wind resistance and make it less stressful for my roof rack. And they claim to be a better antenna than Firestik too.

6. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    Go for it !

Good Luck,