Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

CB Antenna mounting options?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by sirhk100, September 25, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. sirhk100

sirhk100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      las vegas
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '91
      I may get a CB this weekend. How strong are the antenna mounts? Will they stay on in high speed prerunning and desert racing stuff? Jumps and stuff? If so is one magnet antenna setup better then another? If not, where did you guys mount them? I have the stock bumpers with no intension of getting a trail bumper or anything. Also, I don't have a roof rack of any type. Any suggestions or pictures of where or how you mounted yours would be great!!!

Khris

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ahhjaws

ahhjaws Moab Edition Explorer

City, State:
      Ft. Collins, CO
      1992 Explorer XLT
      I just have a Radio Shack mag mount. It works fine. I've had it on going 90 down the interstate with no problems. For low tree branches, it falls off though, but that would be for any mag mount. I just put mine in the center of my roof near the back.

4. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Vancouver B.C, Canada
      1992 XL Ex-Police
      My magmount stayed on, even after driving into a low parking garage with it on. I could hear the sound of the top scraping, but it didn't even move on the roof.

They are pretty strong. Most people seem to favor Wilson Magnetic antennas though.....

5. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Boston Area
      2003 Ranger Edge
      There are a number of mounts you can use, depending on the type of antenna you have.

If you buy a magnet mount /antenna already setup then you have a limiting factor of mating the threads of one to the other.
      If you use a fiberglass whip, my favorite is the Wilson Flexiwhip, you can mount the 3/8x24 thread to just about any mount out there.

there is a magnet mount with three large magnets and it will stay in-place, even during jumps.

Good Luck,