Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

cb radio operation ettiquette and tips

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by LONO100, July 4, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      03 sport trac XLT
      hey all, as you can see from my previous posts, i just installed my first cb radio into my 03 ST, and so far im loving it. it breaks up the monotony of my daily 90 mile commute. if the radio gets boring, or my cd's arent working for me, i can turn on the cb and check out what people are BSing about on the airwaves. some of the lude and stupid stuff is not really my style, but some of the guys on there crack me up. there was a guy that i heard just giving weather forecasts, not the weather channel, but an actual guy with nothing better to do. another guy was letting everyone know where to buy illegal fireworks and another guy was hosting his own cb talk show. ive been having a good laugh and i cant wait to use it to communicate with my buddies on our next road trip to the sierra mountains and the barney riley trail. i must say that im pretty much a city slicker that happens to enjoy the outdoors so i dont know too much about cb radio jargon.

my question is can anyone out there with experience using CB radios drop any tips on CB ettiquette? i dont want to be rude without even knowing it if that makes sense. i know that channel 9 is for emergencies and 19 is the "trucker" channel, but are there any other channels that are typically used for certain subjects?

any tips on how to communicate without sounding or being rude or a complete jerk would be great. the primary reason i got the radio was to communnicate with my buddies when we go off roading, or camping/road tripping, but during the inbetween time, id like to know how to get the most use and fun out of this thing.

thanks fellas!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. mwweimer_2001

mwweimer_2001 Member

City, State:
      Muncie, IN
      2001 Explorer Sport Trac
      Remember that anybody can listen to what you're saying on the CB. My advice is if you can't say it in front of little kids, don't say it over the radio. FCC rules also forbid profanity. Unfortunately, there are people out there that don't care what they say over the airwaves. I agree on the entertainment you get out of some of the conversations. I have definately heard some memorable things while listening on road trips.

:usa:Happy Independence Day!

4. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      yup, im with you on the profanity. im no saint, i curse it up like a sailor in ceretain settings, but yeah, id prefer not to hear a bunch of knuckleheads being idiots on the cb. are there any courtesy rules i should know, like if i should pause a certain amount of seconds to allow someone to reply, or anything to that effect? also, when using my squelch, i know iim supposed to tune it to where you are on the border between static and silence, but should i be on the non static side or static side of that threshhold? i feel like when im on the non static side, im not soming into contact with other users.

thanks again fellas

5. mwweimer_2001

mwweimer_2001 Member

City, State:
      Muncie, IN
      2001 Explorer Sport Trac
      You'll want to be on the non-static side of your squelch. This will eliminate all extra static & other noise you pick up from the atmosphere. It is true that you will lose some of the weaker signals, but those are usually miles away from your current position. As to length of time to wait between receiving and transmitting, I would say a pause of around 3 seconds would be enough. Just be aware that you may be "walked over" by someone else who is closer to who you are talking to.

Your CB was brand new out of the box right? It should have had a manual with it. My Cobra 25 manual has a few tips about things like this. Flip through your book and I'm sure it will fill you in about what you want to know.

6. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Garner, NC
      '97 AWD V8 XLT
      Callsign:
      N1LVN
      Pretty much be polite and you'll be fine. Google CB etiquette for any specifics on slang you might hear ("what's your 20?", etc.). Other than that, it's pretty informal, but I'll admit it's been YEARS since I've been on a CB.

Last edited: July 8, 2011
    7. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      after googling ?cb etiqueete" i picked up a few things. appearantly, you cant jump into a conversation on a channel without first saying breaker or break. thats nedws to me! but good to know! also, i read that channel 17 is also known as a trucker channel.

another interesting thing i found out is that the unoffical "jeep channel" is channel 16. do us explorer owners have an unofficial channel? if not, maybe we should come up with one.

8. lynchy wa

lynchy wa Down Under Beer Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Albany, Western Australia
      2008 ford falcon XR8 ute
      What you're doing is cool. Keep listening and learning. If you hear stuff and think "man, what a dickhead", don't do that!:thumbsup:

9. lynchy wa

City, State:
      2008 ford falcon XR8 ute
      Be some great chances to break in on the j*** channel ay. Breaker breaker green piece of s*** in front, move that heap over and let a real truck through, over!

The j*** driver will be thinking "man, what a dickhead".:D

10. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      lol! yeah, im just trying to not seem like an ass when i jump on the radio. someone referred to me as a "white rabbit". anyone know what that means in cb lingo? i couldnt find it. its probably something demeaning, but im not tripping!

and we should still come up with an unofficial channel for us explorer owners out there. im going to randomly throw out a number and say 35. anyone else have a suggestion?

11. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      or maybe 25. its old pager code for the letter "X"

12. lynchy wa

City, State:
      2008 ford falcon XR8 ute
      Cant go wrong with that mate, its unofficially official!!!

13. Tbars4

Tbars4 Moderator Emeritus Elite In Memoriam

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    14. Ranger379

Ranger379 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      middle of nowhere, PA
      '99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
      -channel 19 is the only trucker channel iv ever heard of...
      -loading docks and large plants usually use a different cb channel to communicate with truckers as the come in to load/unload

-alot of times if you pass a truck and hes talking on the mic, and you dont hear him when your on 19, hes probably having a private convo with someone else on a different channel. alot of guys do that when they run together.
      - if you hear guys having a conversation, and want to talk, ur supposed to ask for a break: "break one-nine" (for channel 19) if some guys are just BSing, most people just jump in...
      - if you want to start a conversation use the "break" and someone usually answers back... like if your lost, you can say: Break one-nice for local info.. and ask for directions. opposingly if you hear someone asking that, then hes lost or wants help finding something...be nice and ask what hes looking for, maybe you can help him out..

-alot of truckers commonly use "driver" when talking to others....
      -4wheeler means a car
      - if your on the interstate truckers often use directions to find people traveling the same direction as they are, or opposite direction... if your on I-80W you would be westbound... pretty simple concept.. if someone says: "how bout it westbound" or "Hows it lookin behind ya westbound" they want to talk to someone headed westbound... works good for letting others know of cops, traffic, accidents etc..
      -miler markers are reffered to as yardsticks. Mile Marker 25 = the 25 yardstick, or just "at the 25"
      -brake check means traffic has slowed down drastically due to accident/congestion etc. a "parking lot" is when traffic is stopped on the interstate, again due to accident or congestion..

channel 9 is for emergencies ONLY... iv heard of people getting into big trouble for misusing it.. i know alot of Highway Patrol/state cops and turnpikes monitor channel 9.

the CB can be a very useful and entertaining tool. ill never own a vehicle and NOT put a cb in it haha. just keep listening and youll learn how everone talks on it... i dont think iv ever heard someone use "over" when they are done talking.... i advise against using that lol

thats all i can think of right now

keep on truckin :thumbsup:

15. mwweimer_2001

mwweimer_2001 Member

City, State:
      Muncie, IN
      2001 Explorer Sport Trac
      "Follow the White Rabbit"

The White Rabbit referred to above probably means you'll be acting as bait for the cops. Are you often speeding?

16. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      nope, i hypermile, but maybe they were referring to the fact that i was yapping on a cb, which could look like me on a cell phone, which is a 100 dollar ticket out here in ca or in ny.

thanks again everyone, and remember the new official unofficial channel for explorer owners is 25!

17. Ranger379

Ranger379 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      middle of nowhere, PA
      '99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
      well you already have yourself a handle - white rabbit lol iv never heard it either

25 it is! :exp:

18. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      sweet! white rabbit is my new handle. thanks for supporting the new explorer owners channel. and thanks everyone for all the great info

19. LadyCybergasm

LadyCybergasm B

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau,Mo

i got my cb handle from a trucker years ago DOUBLE TROUBLE. i use to cause trouble on 19 but the truckers loved me cause i would take them to channel 1 n play Red Sovine for them. more or less i was a cb dj. when i was little my dad intro me to the cb world on a cobra and i was named CJ THE DJ. i miss talkin to truckers on the cb but i got my trucker now ( cybergasm ).

20. DB_1

DB_1 Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Quinta, Ca.
      97 SC Ranger xlt
      Never heard of him:p:

21. LadyCybergasm

LadyCybergasm B

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau,Mo

he n i hang in the live chat room he owns a explore or 2